Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

3 hours ago, La Colombe said:

It's quite depressing really to realise just how entrenched the yobbish, anti social speed freakery culture is in the island's institutions. I suppose that sort of mentality has inevitably been attracted to move to the island over the years, and the appalling road safety record is the inevitable result of that. There will never be a sensible national speed limit until there is a real tragedy. And there probably won't be even then. 

I genuinely think we are on the cusp of change. If Government starts to actually govern then it will impose a national limit as part of the National Road Safety Strategy. But it's the inappropriate use of speed - whatever the limit, that is a contributory factor, amongst others, that we have to address. That comes down to attitudes and behaviours of individuals. On top of that there are a whole host of other causations that all need looking at. For instance, a significant proportion of fatal and serious collisions I have dealt with involved the elderly.

We’ve so much to look at, it’s a real challenge for a small jurisdiction.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always been a big fan of Partridge so loving the blog Del. Tell you what, once you’ve smashed this baby out of the park, would love to chew the cud, shoot the breeze and spit ball some top business ideas with you and the guys, how about Jet from Gladiators to host Millennium barn dance at Yeovil aerodrome. Properly policed.Must not! Repeat, must not turn into an all night rave!

15 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

Always been a big fan of Partridge so loving the blog Del. Tell you what, once you’ve smashed this baby out of the park, would love to chew the cud, shoot the breeze and spit ball some top business ideas with you and the guys, how about Jet from Gladiators to host Millennium barn dance at Yeovil aerodrome. Properly policed.Must not! Repeat, must not turn into an all night rave!

You are Richard Madeley and I claim my five pounds. 

I think I've got a station that is going to take Monkey Tennis so watch this space. 

14 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

£5 on gone by post #14.

Why exactly? I have three posts, one that enjoyed Dels writing style, the second a playful query about the entertainment on offer taken in jest and third a response to your rather weird post?

I actually think this Supertour thing is great and hope it is a success. I have a relative who owns a supercar that would probably be interested in pushing it to the limit on a closed road, though not sure he would fancy heading north from London or manage 5 days without a lap dance.

I've changed my tune on this though. If the event is a success, doesn't cost the TP, and will be of only minor inconvenience to other road-users as Derek states, then so be it. A search online reveals not inconsiderable mixed-interest amongst the enthusiasts around it. Interest being one thing, take-up being another. What might be good is nearer to the time of the event would be an estimation of what sort of numbers the Island can expect. I'm guessing this will be commercially confidential, but whether it'll be 50 cars or 150 cars would be good. Going by the numbers involved in similar events around Europe it could get a bit busy. Hopefully worth the effort and participation.

Are the cars strapped-down on the boat? Is there a limited liability clause on motor vehicles of this class, with the Steamy?

So if it's a roaring success, fair play. 

On 09/03/2018 at 12:45 PM, Kevmeister said:

He isn’t playing a game I fear. He genuinely seems to lack the intelligence or openness to deal with the situation properly. A few people have moaned. Rather than be honest with them and answering them honestly he chose to make himself look like a complete chump being evasive and talking garbage about commercial confidentiality etc. He clearly is not paying for anything other than a few quid for the road closure orders to go in the paper. So really he has validated all the criticism leveled here that the taxpayers of the IOM are undoubtedly helping him make money out of a private event that puts money exclusively into his pocket. Hopefully there will be no crashes or accidents as the Hooray Henry’s take to the roads in their £200k sports cars as that would look very ironic indeed for an event run by a man who has harped on about dangerous driving and road safety in the IOM for so long when he was a copper. 

You wont be buying a supercar any time soon then ? Might give you a different view to chew on

1 hour ago, JOE450 said:

You wont be buying a supercar any time soon then ? Might give you a different view to chew on

I would not buy a supercar, I would use one of those trust / leasing structures and recover the VAT , in fact anyone who actually owns a supercar is a chump.

Archived