Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

1 hour ago, JOE450 said:

You wont be buying a supercar any time soon then ? Might give you a different view to chew on

I’ve got a very nice performance car thank you very much. You seem to assume people who object are all jealous peasants. Quite arrogant really. 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, La Colombe said:

The blog is totes Partridge.  

grandad having built a caravan park literally with his bare hands.

They still birch people, everyone hoons about because there is no speed limit and gayness is illegal?* Why would you want to live there Granny?

I can’t remember exactly what he said but it was something like; “look, there are roads with no speed limits, handguns are legal, Tony Blair isn’t the president, the tax is lower and its pretty to look at! What’s not to like!” And believe me, that isn’t even half the story.

9 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

grandad having built a caravan park literally with his bare hands.

They still birch people, everyone hoons about because there is no speed limit and gayness is illegal?* Why would you want to live there Granny?

I can’t remember exactly what he said but it was something like; “look, there are roads with no speed limits, handguns are legal, Tony Blair isn’t the president, the tax is lower and its pretty to look at! What’s not to like!” And believe me, that isn’t even half the story.

Fancy a Flavia?

I think it's a great idea. Like a biker's café run except once a year instead of every Saturday; a chance for folks with a material interest in flash motors to get together and make friends, swap notes, swap arm candy etc., except they'll have to spend a fortune instead of maybe merely buying a mug of tea and a cooked breakfast, and they'll be spending it here on posh hotels, posh food, and Manx petroleum. 

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

I think it's a great idea. Like a biker's café run except once a year instead of every Saturday; a chance for folks with a material interest in flash motors to get together and make friends, swap notes, swap arm candy etc., except they'll have to spend a fortune instead of maybe merely buying a mug of tea and a cooked breakfast, and they'll be spending it here on posh hotels, posh food, and Manx petroleum. 

Not sure how we'd point them in the direction of posh hotels, they might have to Air BnB a flash mansion or two to bunk down in.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

The Supertour is after TT week isn't it? 

It is yeah! Over the last few years though the one way system on the mountain gets set up for the TT on the Friday before practice week. The mountain road is closed most of the day while all the appropriate signage, cones etc are put in place and the road is then reopened, usually about 4.30pm. However once it's ready, before the public or any other traffic is allowed to travel beyond White gates there is always a big group of super cars/classic cars allowed to go over first under closed road conditions. No other traffic is allowed to join the mountain road from any of the side roads.  Once they've gone over then the road reopens properly (one way) for everyone else, so I was just wondering if the rich boys are still going to get this privilege on top of the Supertour that follows the TT?

10 hours ago, manxb&b said:

It is yeah! Over the last few years though the one way system on the mountain gets set up for the TT on the Friday before practice week. The mountain road is closed most of the day while all the appropriate signage, cones etc are put in place and the road is then reopened, usually about 4.30pm. However once it's ready, before the public or any other traffic is allowed to travel beyond White gates there is always a big group of super cars/classic cars allowed to go over first under closed road conditions. No other traffic is allowed to join the mountain road from any of the side roads.  Once they've gone over then the road reopens properly (one way) for everyone else, so I was just wondering if the rich boys are still going to get this privilege on top of the Supertour that follows the TT?

Dont know what will happen this year, but it was always done on a risk basis. Didnt want a mix of cars and bikes. Get the mass of cars that turn up away, hold for a minute, get the mass of bikes away. Then return to 'normal...'

It worked, and it looks a bit special too. Someone posted a video last year. There are more and more coming for that first weekend so i'll be interested to see what they come up with. 

Archived