Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a funny story! A  motorway super car race that has led to the drivers being banned. The funny bit is the speeds, which the Isle of Man considers quite pedestrian really, 135 and 145 mph. I suppose it's much more dangerous doing those speeds on a quiet motorway, with it's three lanes all going the same way, than it is on a narrow little country road like there is on the mountain. Amazing how stupid the rest of the civilised world is! 

4 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Here's a funny story! A  motorway super car race that has led to the drivers being banned. The funny bit is the speeds, which the Isle of Man considers quite pedestrian really, 135 and 145 mph. I suppose it's much more dangerous doing those speeds on a quiet motorway, with it's three lanes all going the same way, than it is on a narrow little country road like there is on the mountain. Amazing how stupid the rest of the civilised world is! 

Was it really that dangerous though ?

That speed is easily achievable up the mountain mile, (which isn't advisable), but on a motorway, as you say, it is not really quick compared to what I see often in Germany.

39 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Driving at 135 on a busy motorway in an unmarked car is a challenge. The days of no speed limit on the Mountain have to be numbered. Like you point out, it just makes no sense.

Correct. 

Easy to achieve, but very hard to justify.

Even as a heavy footed petrol head, I accept that an overall speed limit will, (and should) be introduced within a few years,

Archived