Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

25 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Even as a heavy footed petrol head, I accept that an overall speed limit will, (and should) be introduced within a few years,

I have noticed in the UK over the last few years more A roads seem to have had 50mph limits on them and I was surprised on a recent trip to find that permanent average speed cameras are being installed. These are spaced out so over a 10 mile length of road there several cameras, not just at the start and finish so it is not a case of being able to go quickly on one stretch to make up for having been held up earlier.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:
32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Even as a heavy footed petrol head, I accept that an overall speed limit will, (and should) be introduced within a few years,

I have noticed in the UK over the last few years more A roads seem to have had 50mph limits on them and I was surprised on a recent trip to find that permanent average speed cameras are being installed. These are spaced out so over a 10 mile length of road there several cameras, not just at the start and finish so it is not a case of being able to go quickly on one stretch to make up for having been held up earlier.

As much as I love driving quickly, I am the first to admit that we need controls and if that interferes with what we consider a sport, then so be it.

Maybe I am just taking stock and considering my age and vulnerability. 

The average speed cameras are the real game changer. I think people see them as a lot fairer than the random positioning of laser vans, or the much maligned static 'safety' cameras. 

Ultimately we will see how grown up IOMG is when it comes to this new strategy. 

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Was it really that dangerous though ?

That speed is easily achievable up the mountain mile, (which isn't advisable), but on a motorway, as you say, it is not really quick compared to what I see often in Germany.

Any fool can do 135 on the mountain, its when it goes wrong you suddenly wish you had been doing 70

When things go wrong it's usually your own fault. At least if you're driving fast you're generally more committed to the job in hand that the idiots who dally over the Mountain road at 35mph feeling smug and sanctimonious and holding everyone up. I say that having been a fool on the hill once...

9 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When things go wrong it's usually your own fault. At least if you're driving fast you're generally more committed to the job in hand that the idiots who dally over the Mountain road at 35mph feeling smug and sanctimonious and holding everyone up. I say that having been a fool on the hill once...

How do you know how they feel?  35mph is quite a pace really, much faster than the human body has evolved to move at. 

It's only 5mph below the speed that many vehicles are restricted by law to keep at or below. 

22 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

At least if you're driving fast you're generally more committed to the job in hand that the idiots who dally over the Mountain road at 35mph feeling smug and sanctimonious and holding everyone up.

How committed to the job in hand were you when you crashed that motorcycle on the mountain whilst being videoed? Or were you just not going fast enough? 

23 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

How committed to the job in hand were you when you crashed that motorcycle on the mountain whilst being videoed? Or were you just not going fast enough? 

Pity you cut off the last part of Stu's post.  I guess your jibe wouldn't of worked then.

46 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I say that having been a fool on the hill once...

Archived