Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also hope all goes well for your events. I am 100% behind these activities.

I still think you are way off the mark regarding the bikes and the mountain road.

Two very different kettles of fish.

I hope I can get to see these cars in action.:)

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I also hope all goes well for your events. I am 100% behind these activities.

I still think you are way off the mark regarding the bikes and the mountain road.

Two very different kettles of fish.

I hope I can get to see these cars in action.:)

That’s the beauty of MF - it’s the last bastion of proper debate on the IOM. It’s just a shame it gets a bit nasty from time to time. No need for that (am talking generically btw)

It'll be fine, next year will be fine. At some point, someone in a government office will realise it makes them do work, so will start to make it difficult to continue, the tax man will quadruple your expected profits year on year and demand upfront payments before you have even earned a penny, wiping out your profit income year on year so the money can sit in a government account, and not yours.

But it'll be fine this year.

5 hours ago, x-in-man said:

It'll be fine, next year will be fine. At some point, someone in a government office will realise it makes them do work, so will start to make it difficult to continue, the tax man will quadruple your expected profits year on year and demand upfront payments before you have even earned a penny, wiping out your profit income year on year so the money can sit in a government account, and not yours.

But it'll be fine this year.

You missed out the bit about having to pay for CS /police/ HS expertise  prior to   planning and during  the event :lol:

I support the intentions behind the Supertour and I also believe that Derek Flint will do his utmost to make it successful and responsible. We are, however, already being subjected to arrogant and juvenile men in fast, expensive sports cars treating the rural roads like an unrestricted race track. I have had countless cars accelerating past my house at ridiculous speeds towards a blind bend. It is only a matter of time before they meet the farm machinery coming in the opposite direction. Please Derek, can you urge your participants to treat the roads and the locals with respect?

5 hours ago, joebean said:

I support the intentions behind the Supertour and I also believe that Derek Flint will do his utmost to make it successful and responsible. We are, however, already being subjected to arrogant and juvenile men in fast, expensive sports cars treating the rural roads like an unrestricted race track. I have had countless cars accelerating past my house at ridiculous speeds towards a blind bend. It is only a matter of time before they meet the farm machinery coming in the opposite direction. Please Derek, can you urge your participants to treat the roads and the locals with respect?

We had a very civilised few days last weekend with the Annual Porsche Club GB visit. 35 cars plus some locals, two "Dawn Raids" (they invented it about 20 years ago!) which were organised and sensible and some fantastic feedback about the Island. I ran into one couple down at the Sound Cafe on Monday before they were getting the late boat back, seriously considering buying a place here. 

If you brief people properly then there tends to be less problems. 

S9 Supercar club arrives tomorrow. Some real exotica along for that one - about 30 cars again. 

It sounds like the place you live Joebean is an incident waiting to happen. Have you had a word with the DOI at all? It is worth putting your observations on record. 

On 5/23/2018 at 6:58 PM, Derek Flint said:

S9 Supercar club arrives tomorrow. Some real exotica along for that one - about 30 cars again.

Friend was on the boat when they were coming over. Sounds like there are some right melons in that group.

Plenty of arrogance about driving at excessive speed and “knowing every pebble on the road” and bikes not being able to keep up.

But, hey, they get a briefing to drive responsibly and think of the locals so all will be ok.

12 minutes ago, yorik said:

Friend was on the boat when they were coming over. Sounds like there are some right melons in that group.

Plenty of arrogance about driving at excessive speed and “knowing every pebble on the road” and bikes not being able to keep up.

But, hey, they get a briefing to drive responsibly and think of the locals so all will be ok.

They aren’t my lot, and they did get a police briefing. I know the organizers are feeling really let down by some of them - and it doesn’t help the overall picture. 

Yes Derek, I met with 2 at Hillberry yesterday morning and they were driving like lunatics, silver Merc and on orange Lamborghini I have passed information to the Constabulary. I met a load on the main road on my way to work at Ballacraine and can say they were driving perfectly, you can always count on a couple of dickheads to let the side down.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

They aren’t my lot, and they did get a police briefing. I know the organizers are feeling really let down by some of them - and it doesn’t help the overall picture. 

In contrast the PCGB guys last weekend seemed well behaved and haven't heard any adverse comments about them.

2 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Yes Derek, I met with 2 at Hillberry yesterday morning and they were driving like lunatics, silver Merc and on orange Lamborghini I have passed information to the Constabulary. I met a load on the main road on my way to work at Ballacraine and can say they were driving perfectly, you can always count on a couple of dickheads to let the side down.

I was in amongst that lot. We broke it into two lots, with a really quick car and driver at the front, and capt slow (me) with the rest. All very civilised. The good thing with PCGB is they have a reputation to preserve and understand the value of it. Next year is their 20th visit!

and in fairness to the S9 organizers, they have cast adrift any that have let them down. They are wholly supportive of police action - it’s just nice when none is needed in the first place

Archived