Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

"The Isle of Man... ... We do things differently here; Gladitorial bike racing, blisteringly fast tarmac rallying, and selected public roads with no upper speed limit. Amd where else in the world would actually close public roads- just so you could enjoy them for all your glory? It's an open invitation..."

Where else indeed... 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, quilp said:

"The Isle of Man... ... We do things differently here; Gladitorial bike racing, blisteringly fast tarmac rallying, and selected public roads with no upper speed limit. Amd where else in the world would actually close public roads- just so you could enjoy them for all your glory? It's an open invitation..."

Where else indeed... 

probably some of the few remaining unique elements about the place when you think about it.  

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

Amd [sic.] where else in the world would actually close public roads- just so you could enjoy them for all your glory?

London and Monte Carlo spring to mind immediately.  Here's a couple more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_circuit and more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_racing

For car clubs, road closure seem to be popular in New Zealand.  Plenty of Google search results.  I'd bet Derek has some more detailed research.

1 minute ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

London and Monte Carlo spring to mind immediately.  Here's a couple more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_circuit and more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_racing

For car clubs, road closure seem to be popular in New Zealand.  Plenty of Google search results.  I'd bet Derek has some more detailed research.

There is enabling legislation in the UK now. So far, the take up has been light. It will be interesting to see where it goes. 

No need to worry. It’ll last one year, given who is “organising” it. It’ll lose plenty. Derek can’t stick to a budget, even at those outrageous prices.

vanity project. And it doesn’t cover the costs, no matter how evasive he is. There will be road orders to be made, policing of closed road access, recovery of any crashed vehicles, treatment of any injured drivers or spectators.

The real worry is that once DF has failed, the government will take it over and lose even more in subsequent years.

Still I suppose it’s better than having him mess up the hospital.

Wonder if he’s incorporated it with limited liability?

1 minute ago, Kipper99 said:

No need to worry. It’ll last one year, given who is “organising” it. It’ll lose plenty. Derek can’t stick to a budget, even at those outrageous prices.

vanity project. And it doesn’t cover the costs, no matter how evasive he is. There will be road orders to be made, policing of closed road access, recovery of any crashed vehicles, treatment of any injured drivers or spectators.

The real worry is that once DF has failed, the government will take it over and lose even more in subsequent years.

Still I suppose it’s better than having him mess up the hospital.

Wonder if he’s incorporated it with limited liability?

What budget over runs are you referring to? It never happened, including on the largest capital project the IOMC has had to date. 

You have clearly no idea whatsoever of the requirements of the DOI in respect of satisfying the requirements and liabilities you outline. You can't close a road - or indeed run a track day without doing so. 

Come up with some evidence on both fronts,  and you might gain some credibility. You are just making a bit of a schmuck of yourself at the moment, which is a shame.

God knows what I did to you but you really do need to move on. All that anger isn't good for you. Always happy to have a brew to put matters right though. 

42 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Why not write to your MHK in outrage?

Why should I go to the lengths of writing to my MHK when you’re the guy organizing it and I’ve asked you a very straight question which you have refused to answer. Other than by your evasiveness you have made it crystal clear that you are not paying a penny for using taxpayer funded resources for your own private business. 

You really sound like a complete tool. Another self entitled ex government employee who thinks the IOM and it’s taxpayers are just there to feed money into their pockets time and time again. 

1 minute ago, Kevmeister said:

Why should I go to the lengths of writing to my MHK when you’re the guy organizing it and I’ve asked you a very straight question which you have refused to answer. Other than by your evasiveness you have made it crystal clear that you are not paying a penny for using taxpayer funded resources for your own private business. 

You really sound like a complete tool. Another self entitled ex government employee who thinks the IOM and it’s taxpayers are just there to feed money into their pockets time and time again. 

Bless. 

Kevmeister, I'm in business. I'm not here to disclose every part of my business models to some anonymous chappie on an internet forum. If you are so outraged by this, then by all means, contact the authorities, maybe even start one of those 'Stop the Supertour' petition thingies. Just get on with it rather than harumphing on here. 

27 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

For car clubs, road closure seem to be popular in New Zealand.  Plenty of Google search results...

Who cares about such equivalence? Many of us locals tolerate the TT. There are those who dislike it so much they're compelled to leave for the fortnight and now we're expected to endure more of the same for an extended period just so a few more petrol heads can enjoy unfettered abandon. 

Archived