Constitutional, Legal Affairs and Justice Committee

gettafa

I see Tynwald has set up a Tynwald Constitutional, Legal Affairs and Justice Committee.

Manx Radio

Part of its remit is to include looking at the Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal. And other stuff such as to take evidence from witnesses and to report on matters as they affect the Island - relating to the administration of justice, legal services, the work of the Attorney General and constitutional issue

The Chair is Mrs Jane-Poole Wilson MLC. A lawyer.

I'm sure the Isle of Man Law Society and the wider Athol Street will be happy having one of their own chairing this committee?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It will need somebody legally qualified to look at the issues but I'd say there'll be no seismic changes here, Legal Aid for example will doubtless remain the trough that keeps giving, the Advocate's Disciplinary Tribunal will continue to err on the side of its brethren unless it's utterly indefensible etc etc.

This "examination" might actually be continuation of a process that was started by John Houghton a few years ago - which would indicate just how slow it is?

32 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I see Tynwald has set up a Tynwald Constitutional, Legal Affairs and Justice Committee.

Manx Radio

Part of its remit is to include looking at the Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal. And other stuff such as to take evidence from witnesses and to report on matters as they affect the Island - relating to the administration of justice, legal services, the work of the Attorney General and constitutional issue

I'm sure the Isle of Man Law Society and the wider Athol Street will be happy having one of their own chairing this committee?

Yes, as per usual a conflict of interest and biased. Still, what do you expect on the Isle of Man ............ where you can!

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, gettafa said:

Manx Radio

I would prefer to have someone who understands the process to chair it.

Who would you recommend? Cregeen?

What does confuse me is that as her term is coming to an end and the elections are today so she is not guaranteed to be an MLC for long.

• Thanks 1

You make a very good point. Mrs Poole-Wilson has retained her seat on the Legislative Council now.

You're right of course, and if Cregie's brother the Chief Registrar is anything to go by, he will be putty in the hands of the legal boys (but of course, that is exactly why he was positioned into the job).

I was wondering, is it a relative Poole-Wilson that works for Cains advocates? The First Deemster Clerk of the Rolls and Deputy Governor (that' s just 'David' if you are a member of Tynwald) is now "stepping down" from his lofty position to make the tea and that at Cains Advocates. So I'm sure there will still be plenty of influence still going on at dinner parties and that. And the Cronk y Voddee produce show of course.

Edited by gettafa

That is her husband at Cains.

It is small pool on the island so conflicts of interest are likely. The important part is making sure they are declared.

It should all be clear if the findings are published in full, but unfortunately this government has not proved to be adept at transparency.

• Like 1

Conflicts seem to be only declared once pulled up on. Usually it seems to be a case of keep schtumm, no one will notice...deal with it when and if we have to. Then play the Ace card: "on the Isle of Man it is inevitable that there will be conflicts of interests and blah blah blah"

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The interesting thing is that neither Jersey not Guernsey sent their Chief Ministers, both places have a Minister part of whose job is External Relations (though confusingly both the current holders are ex-CMs).  In the Isle of Man that position is taken by the CM who also is in charge of the Cabinet Office.  It's a centralisation of power, nominally in the hands of the CM, but with recent weak incumbents basically in those of the Chief Secretary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The interesting thing is that neither Jersey not Guernsey sent their Chief Ministers, both places have a Minister part of whose job is External Relations (though confusingly both the current holders are ex-CMs).  In the Isle of Man that position is taken by the CM who also is in charge of the Cabinet Office.  It's a centralisation of power, nominally in the hands of the CM, but with recent weak incumbents basically in those of the Chief Secretary.

The difference in delivery between the CD representatives of what needed to be said to the Committee was marked.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

A "robust" (and externally led) review to take place...

Screenshot_20220120-185214_Chrome.jpg

This will be interesting. Could it paint a negative picture of the Manx Legal profession, and many recommendations be advised? Like the DHSC and Nobles Hospital had a review and then the Michaels Report which proposed many major changes. Could this report be the Manx Legal professions equivalent?

Edited by 2112