Outsourcing dirty tricks - cambridge analytica

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, woody2 said:

so how much did the eu spend.......

With AggregateIQ / Cambridge - which is what this story is about. AFAIK zero.

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

can't believe anyone is shocked by online mining for info......

This story is not primarily about data mining.

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Why anyone would put sensitive information about themselves on Facebook is beyond me.

The thing is with this you don't have to do anything personally to be affected. The way they allegedly did it meant that any friend of anyone completing the questionnaire was mined as well.

I don't actually see what the problem is here. Do people really think, when they wilfully handed all their personal information over to a global, for profit, tech company, that it was just going to sit there and not be used? Facebook is an intelligence agency's wet dream, not to mention a marketing gift from God. Anyone who has any interest in data would want a piece of the action. It's why the only piece of information I've ever given to facebook is my name and was always asked why, up until now.

2 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

You genuinely believe that to be true, don't you?

Personal information, yes. I don't have a profile picture or felt the need to tell everyone my date of birth, my employment history or family connections. Of course I use it to browse my interests and news items so those will be known but I'm comfortable with that, I wouldn't expect anything else.  

12 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Personal information, yes. I don't have a profile picture or felt the need to tell everyone my date of birth, my employment history or family connections. Of course I use it to browse my interests and news items so those will be known but I'm comfortable with that, I wouldn't expect anything else.  

That's the information they were looking for, not personal / sensitive info.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sausages said:

That's the information they were looking for, not personal info.

Which I don't have a problem with. I know a few people however who have been the victim of quite detailed identity fraud which I'm sure is in some part due to the fact they gladly give photos of themselves along with most of their personal details wilfully to a social media site, which will then probably be sold on numerous times until it reaches people who will use it for criminal intent.

20 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

But they can build that information based on your name, email address used to register, the device you used to log in, the location of the device used to log in, frequency of logins, other sites visited on said device, etc, etc.  They can then cross reference other people with similar information, and work out your date of birth, your other social media profiles, employer, etc.

Just now, RIchard Britten said:

But they can build that information based on your name, email address used to register, the device you used to log in, the location of the device used to log in, frequency of logins, other sites visited on said device, etc, etc.  They can then cross reference other people with similar information, and work out your date of birth, your other social media profiles, employer, etc.

Of course. In today's world we have a number of digital touch points daily and if someone really wanted to target a specific individual I'm sure it can be done easily if you put in a bit of effort but you don't want to spoon feed this information out there.

Archived