Lucky Escape

Neil Down

Now call me old fashioned but I would rather not undergo heart surgery by somebody with an emotionally-unstable personality disorder, a severe eating disorder and alcohol drug dependence. Might as well just plunge the scalpel through the patient's heart

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lavinia-woodward-case-oxford-university-student-too-clever-for-prison-denied-permission-to-appeal-sentence/ar-BBKO4xE?li=AAmiR2Z&MSCC=1522263188&ocid=spartandhp

Well, who is to judge? This is not surprising, as we are all human and all fallible.

In all walks of life there are people who you might think are in unsuitable occupations. I have known a person who worked for the public sector advising people on their finances while herself being one step away from bankruptcy. What must be going through her mind all day?

Same with relationship counsellors trying to hold their clients' marriages together whilst heading for the divorce courts themselves, and we have all heard the tragic case of the policeman who killed his policewoman wife over a paltry loan.

I have known accountants who are so removed from reality that it is hard to take their advice seriously. Same goes for solicitors; I have encountered one alcoholic and one far gone on substance abuse during my career. Both had their stories, which were not pretty, that had stemmed from personal loss and anguish.

Then there are the airline pilots who in mid flight suddenly have an "AAAGHHH, what the hell am I doing?" moment, having suddenly realised the awesome responsibility in their feeble hands, never taking to the skies again and retiring as broken shells of the people they once were.

Imagine the mental strains on these people day to day. Anyone can snap so it does not come as any great surprise that this academically brilliant young woman could have such dark sides to her life that she could be pushed to abusing herself followed by such a violent deed. She is indeed a troubled individual. As far as I know, we have no knowledge of what led to the stabbing, or of any provocation. If murderers and rapists can (ludicrously) be given the benefit of the doubt, often to offend again, then I'm sure a young aspiring medic can too. I hope she overcomes her problems.

I hope she overcomes her problems.

Me too. That said, it sounds like your secret apologist liberal side,  kept hidden for so long, is making a bid for freedom :)

Not sure about the perceived equivalence of dodgy accountants and someone who might one day make life or death decisions either. Airline pilots might have some common ground but the scenario you describe of them 'cracking up' seems very rare. 

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Well, who is to judge? This is not surprising, as we are all human and all fallible.

In all walks of life there are people who you might think are in unsuitable occupations. I have known a person who worked for the public sector advising people on their finances while herself being one step away from bankruptcy. What must be going through her mind all day?

Same with relationship counsellors trying to hold their clients' marriages together whilst heading for the divorce courts themselves, and we have all heard the tragic case of the policeman who killed his policewoman wife over a paltry loan.

I have known accountants who are so removed from reality that it is hard to take their advice seriously. Same goes for solicitors; I have encountered one alcoholic and one far gone on substance abuse during my career. Both had their stories, which were not pretty, that had stemmed from personal loss and anguish.

Then there are the airline pilots who in mid flight suddenly have an "AAAGHHH, what the hell am I doing?" moment, having suddenly realised the awesome responsibility in their feeble hands, never taking to the skies again and retiring as broken shells of the people they once were.

Imagine the mental strains on these people day to day. Anyone can snap so it does not come as any great surprise that this academically brilliant young woman could have such dark sides to her life that she could be pushed to abusing herself followed by such a violent deed. She is indeed a troubled individual. As far as I know, we have no knowledge of what led to the stabbing, or of any provocation. If murderers and rapists can (ludicrously) be given the benefit of the doubt, often to offend again, then I'm sure a young aspiring medic can too. I hope she overcomes her problems.

I agree woolley, although as sad as it is and given she has these problems now, it's probably for the best she goes nowhere near heart surgery as a career

She was appealing her suspended sentence, and her leave to  appeal was denied.  So I assume that in this lifetime, she has seriously damaged her chance to be a surgeon.

I do find it extraordinary that when she has already been spared a custodial sentence, she should appeal even that. She committed a violent crime, what does she expect? A caution?

My understanding is that a criminal record for a crime of violence will seriously prejudice her chances of becoming a doctor anyway. If she is as intelligent as she presumably is having got into Oxford, she shouldn't have too much trouble pursuing an alternative career.

I wonder how this would all sit if it involved a trainee hairdresser from Middlesborough, say.  Life and liberty has the same value regardless of social status, in my book.

4 minutes ago, guzzi said:

She was appealing her suspended sentence, and her leave to  appeal was denied.  So I assume that in this lifetime, she has seriously damaged her chance to be a surgeon.

I do find it extraordinary that when she has already been spared a custodial sentence, she should appeal even that. She committed a violent crime, what does she expect? A caution?

My understanding is that a criminal record for a crime of violence will seriously prejudice her chances of becoming a doctor anyway. If she is as intelligent as she presumably is having got into Oxford, she shouldn't have too much trouble pursuing an alternative career.

I wonder how this would all sit if it involved a trainee hairdresser from Middlesborough, say.  Life and liberty has the same value regardless of social status, in my book.

she'll still get a hearing.......

2 minutes ago, woody2 said:

she'll still get a hearing.......

"However she can still apply to have her case heard by a full court of two or three judges."

So that isn't a foregone conclusion. And neither is it the point.

4 minutes ago, woody2 said:

which is what i said.....

:rolleyes:

Comprehension of written English. Q1.

Do these phrases mean the same thing? 

"She can still apply to have her case heard" / 'she'll still get a hearing"

27 minutes ago, woody2 said:

its a foregone, its part of the process, they can't refuse a oral hearing no matter how crap the case is.....

Woody, would you please quit while you are still losing...

Archived