Winnie Mandela...

La Colombe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, PottyLisa said:

Do you know what a back handed compliment is Lxxx?

Actually, come to think of it, do you realise what decency actually is?

I'm in no mood to get into a slanging match with the likes of your ilk so the last word belongs to you.

I think my response indicates I do, to people sharp enough to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Without getting into the black vs white argument, Winnie was a proponent of necklacing.  Wasn't  that a punishment meted out to black 'traitors' involving putting a tyre round the neck, filled with petrol and set alight? Sounds like terrorism to me.

26 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Without getting into the black vs white argument, Winnie was a proponent of necklacing.  Wasn't  that a punishment meted out to black 'traitors' involving putting a tyre round the neck, filled with petrol and set alight? Sounds like terrorism to me.

Sounds inhuman.

Doesn’t the tag “terrorist” rather dignify what is essentially gangsterism?

Terrorism is about trying to instill terror in your opponents and particularly in the general population of your opponents. It’s a step on from being a freedom fighter because it doesn’t restrict itself to the machinery of an oppressive state. Whilst wrong, it’s still individuals taking up arms against a state for a cause.

However, necklacing was the powerful exercising control over their community through fear. It’s really little different to the mob running a protection racket. 

I think @Chinahand‘s earlier point about her being dehumanised by the struggle against apartheid and becoming murderous is relevant. Sometimes people with a cause, even an honourable cause, get caught up into believing anything they do is good for the cause and ultimately honourable, so become basically criminals. 

You are so right about gangsterism.  Northern Ireland was exactly that - each side had its protection rackets far removed from 'the struggle'.  It became a money earning struggle.  No doubt, there were many who held the idealism, but many more who exploited the situation for their own enrichment.  How better to keep it going then a few bombs or knee-capping?

59 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You are so right about gangsterism.  Northern Ireland was exactly that - each side had its protection rackets far removed from 'the struggle'.  It became a money earning struggle.  No doubt, there were many who held the idealism, but many more who exploited the situation for their own enrichment.  How better to keep it going then a few bombs or knee-capping?

There wasn’t that many into idealism. More money laundering/drug dealing...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived