Prince Charles - head of the Commonwealth

Chinahand

44 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Bash royalty all you like, but I think the Commonwealth is a wonderful organisation.  53 nations, a third of the world’s population, a quarter of the UN’s membership and covering a fifth of the world's land area.

Its members tend to share the same legal system and it promotes an set of “Commonwealth values”, including democracy and human rights. 

It is also one of the few functional multilateral organisations which successfully spans rich and developing nations.

It is mostly a talking shop, but I think it is better to think of it as a multinational think-tank which deals with everything from economic development, climate change to the issues of poverty and immigration.

The smallest nations sit with the largest, and the richest listen to some of the poorest.

Getting world politicians together to face real issues of global governance is vitally important and the Commonwealth is far more grounded in the realities of the world than Davos, the OECD, the G7 or even the G20.  The shared culture also allows for better mutual understanding compared to the dog eat dog geopolitics the G20 fosters.

I hope it goes from strength to strength. 

I just don't want it to be headed by Big Ears because of who his mother was.

Given a choice I would plumb for adopting the Swiss model and to hell with the rest of the world. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Ah the advantages of birth.  Have various political leaders from around the world just given Charles a job for life???!!!

Sorry, but that is just unacceptable in this day and age.  Though the Commonwealth leaders aren't exactly an enlightened, modern lot, are they.

I really hope it is at least a renewable set term, subject to revalidation.

To have a person appointed due to simply the priviledge of their birth is wrong. Hereditary political leadership belongs in the history book, not at the head of the Commonwealth, which could be a useful organisation for multilateral cooperation rather than a place for Charles to go meddling, wining and dining.

lol  , the members of the commonwealth  chose Prince Charles , it may be "unacceptable" to you  but unfortunately , (for you) your opinion  is irrelevant .

I wish him luck and at least he is his own man rather than a relative of a political chancer , he is perhaps obliged to dine and take wine as would any other person in the post .

You seemed if memory serves decide to take advantage of  a government grant to assist your  business  endeavours paid for by the taxpayer so to criticise  others benefitting  from the public purse is a tad rich.

8 minutes ago, paswt said:

lol  , the members of the commonwealth  chose Prince Charles , it may be "unacceptable" to you  but unfortunately , (for you) your opinion  is irrelevant .

I wish him luck and at least he is his own man rather than a relative of a political chancer , he is perhaps obliged to dine and take wine as would any other person in the post .

You seemed if memory serves decide to take advantage of  a government grant to assist your  business  endeavours paid for by the taxpayer so to criticise  others benefitting  from the public purse is a tad rich.

A government grant to bolster a business venture that if successful will result in benefits for the economy and society is very different from money and resources being poured into an unelected and increasingly unwanted shower of leaches that are of no benefit to anyone other than themselves and assorted hanger on's.

The royal family and indeed the British hereditary monarchy is the biggest con job that has been perpetrated on a population ever

1 minute ago, Rog said:

A government grant to bolster a business venture that if successful will result in benefits for the economy and society is very different from money and resources being poured into an unelected and increasingly unwanted shower of leaches that are of no benefit to anyone other than themselves and assorted hanger on's.

The royal family and indeed the British hereditary monarchy is the biggest con job that has been perpetrated on a population ever

A government grant is a gift , if the business prospers the main beneficiary is the recipient of the grant .

"IF" the business is successful there maybe benefits for the economy .

FWIW  I would favour loans  at reasonable rates rather than grants.

I'm obliged by your opinions in relation to the Royal Family ............  and retain my own.

hope this helps

4 minutes ago, paswt said:

A government grant is a gift , if the business prospers the main beneficiary is the recipient of the grant .

"IF" the business is successful there maybe benefits for the economy .

FWIW  I would favour loans  at reasonable rates rather than grants.

I'm obliged by your opinions in relation to the Royal Family ............  and retain my own.

hope this helps

A government grant is an investment and comes with strict conditions imposed and the spin off benefits from the grant investment if the business thrives reach many places and people.

Cor blimey I applied for a grant to advance a business project and that puts me on a par with Royalty. Who’d have thunk it.

Lucky me. Come on Paswt doff your cap double quick. ;-)

10 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Cor blimey I applied for a loan to advance a business project and that puts me on a par with Royalty. Who’d have thunk it.

Careful, he'll be demanding one of his infamous apologies next! :lol:

28 minutes ago, Rog said:

A government grant is an investment and comes with strict conditions imposed and the spin off benefits from the grant investment if the business thrives reach many places and people.

Now that is an opinion :lol: , never applied for a grant myself , perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned /self reliant , won some ,lost some  , not complaining .

You seem to be a tad defensive, am I to assume that you have been a successful applicant?:D . Your posts on here would lead one to believe you've  been relatively financially successful :)

7 minutes ago, paswt said:

Now that is an opinion :lol: , never applied for a grant myself , perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned /self reliant , won some ,lost some  , not complaining .

You seem to be a tad defensive, am I to assume that you have been a successful applicant?:D . Your posts on here would lead one to believe you've  been relatively financially successful :)

I've never applied for a government grant from any government but I've certainly picked up a few government contracts over the years mostly from overseas governments.

What I did learn very early on is is about having to pay "facilitation fees" or to pay for "licenses"  that have to be paid for in cash but recovered by the costs being included in the contract.  It's part of normal business in Africa, especially Sub-Saharan Africa.

15 minutes ago, Rog said:

What I did learn very early on is is about having to pay "facilitation fees" or to pay for "licenses"  that have to be paid for in cash but recovered by the costs being included in the contract.  It's part of normal business in Africa, especially Sub-Saharan Africa.

We get it. You were once important, Bwana.

50 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Cor blimey I applied for a loan to advance a business project and that puts me on a par with Royalty. Who’d have thunk it.

If it was a 'loan' then I retract my comment, I was under the impression that it was a "grant"  (from the 'public purse') ...... mea culpa  :).

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

We get it. You were once important, Bwana.

No my love. Just a reasonably successful businessman who learned a very great deal about African business practices.

Archived