Prince Charles - head of the Commonwealth

Chinahand

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Agreed 

Get rid of the royal family too. Nothing more than a tourist attraction.

Don’t be daft. I’d rather keep the Royal Family than turn the UK into a mini version of USA

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
5 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Agreed 

Get rid of the royal family too. Nothing more than a tourist attraction.

Don’t be daft. I’d rather keep the Royal Family than turn the UK into a mini version of USA

Do you not think that the royal family are not just a relic of times very much past ?

They don't have any real say or impact on today's society, they are just wealthy dinosaurs in my opinion . Sorry to differ.

I would rather see an elected president as in many European countries.

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Do you not think that the royal family are not just a relic of times very much past ?

They don't have any real say or impact on today's society, they are just wealthy dinosaurs in my opinion . Sorry to differ.

No thanks, very happy with keeping the Royal Family. Thanks to the young royals, they are moving forward 

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

No thanks, very happy with keeping the Royal Family. Thanks to the young royals, they are moving forward 

IMO the younger royals are moving AWAY from what you like as a monarchy. Especially Harry ( who I have a lot of time for ) because he wants to be his own man, not a puppet..

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

IMO the younger royals are moving AWAY from what you like as a monarchy. Especially Harry ( who I have a lot of time for ) because he wants to be his own man, not a puppet..

Don’t think they are unless you are referring to their interaction wit the public.

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe because the question over his parentage is a whole lot more than just scuttlebutt.

34 minutes ago, Rog said:

Maybe because the question over his parentage is a whole lot more than just scuttlebutt.

He has an ancestor "The Red Earl" (Spencer) and others whom he resembles ie gingery look. Also, at Willy and Kate's wedding I noticed that one of the Spencers (Aunt?) he also resembles, ie the head and hair. TV caught the profile and you could see this look did not come from that former cavalry officer fellow Hewitt.

Just now, Barrie Stevens said:

He has an ancestor "The Red Earl" (Spencer) and others whom he resembles ie gingery look. Also, at Willy and Kate's wedding I noticed that one of the Spencers (Aunt?) he also resembles, ie the head and hair. TV caught the profile and you could see this look did not come from that former cavalry officer fellow Hewitt.

There's a great many people who do believe that Diana's Dalliance with numerous men, and in particular James Hewitt for an extended period leading up to her conceiving Harry,is more than good enough reason to doubt his CLAIMED blood line.

7 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

I’m neutral, but I think only the monarchists should be paying for them. I’d probably chip in for the current queen.

They get The Sovereign Grant voted by Parliament. The old system was the Civil List and the Privy Purse. The Royals get paid if they do public duties and they have to do a certain amount. Other money goes for the household and buildings.

Since at least George III in 1760 they had to give up the use of and revenue from the Crown Estate in return for money voted by Parliament.

The Crown Estate revenue goes to the Treasury basically and they get the Sovereign Grant paid out of this. The Treasury makes a big profit as little of it goes to the "Royals". In fact 15% of the profit goes to the Sovereign Grant.

Charles pushed for more I think on the basis that the Crown Estate is still theirs technically and by convention they agree to these arrangements and of course surrendering the right to impose taxation themselves (1760). Charles thought the valuation was out of date due to offshore licensing, wind farms etc. He wanted a grant that reflected more up to date valuations as I think I recall.

On the other hand I would not rate highly their chances of reclaiming the use of and revenue from the Crown Estate.

Archived