Prince Charles - head of the Commonwealth

Chinahand

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect this may be phase 1 of a planned abdication, and one where Charles does not become King. And that a very principled Liz will short this out over the next year or so before she pops off for a bit of retirement, or, hopefully not, for health reasons.

My money is on us having King William in the year of Brexit.

Albert Tatlock the bookies' friend..

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t take any interest in the royal family, or their dna. I probably agree with Barrie though - it’s not an intuitively sound system - but it works. Ireland and some other countries seem to do well when picking presidents, but the British are by nature pompous, which is not always a bad thing but not a quality you want in a president. Can you imagine the chaos if a British politician or political commentator were head of state?

14 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Taking the piss is not anti-Semitism.. I was drawing a long bow and relating your opinions or political view today to the one that prevailed at the time of the Commonwealth ie The Jews were invited back in during a republican time so your "people" so to speak would have been OK during that Republican time not out of step in other words or else they would not have been encouraged to come back. I agree not a good joke!

WRONG Barrie. The context that you used was not only not a joke it was also not in the least bit jocular, and the fact that you put quotation marks around the word people is likewise highly offensive.

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect this may be phase 1 of a planned abdication, and one where Charles does not become King. And that a very principled Liz will short this out over the next year or so before she pops off for a bit of retirement, or, hopefully not, for health reasons.

My money is on us having King William in the year of Brexit.

So in other words we have the unknown of Brexit....Combined with a constitutional crisis...Sounds a bit Edward VIII. Timing just right for the markets eh what!

The immediate candidate for next Head of State gets pushed out of the way by his mum...His son a young prince who does not want it yet so he refuses the Crown in favour of his father as he has already stated he prefers...and we have the established head of state abdicating but remaining in the background leaving er? Harry? Mmm...I think he is now fourth in line Kate and Will's daughter takes precedence...

Frankly life is too short to care about this...Well mine is anyway!

Hey! Harry aka Hewitt as some say, and his wife produce  a little one or two even and she/he/they inherit her African genes which predominate and Hewitt's red hair (allegedly)

Glad it is not my job to advise the Royals...Life is really too short to bother with all this! 

7 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

I don’t take any interest in the royal family, or their dna. I probably agree with Barrie though - it’s not an intuitively sound system - but it works. Ireland and some other countries seem to do well when picking presidents, but the British are by nature pompous, which is not always a bad thing but not a quality you want in a president. Can you imagine the chaos if a British politician or political commentator were head of state?

Some politicians good, some not, a few absolutely outstanding but in each case only in post for a fixed term.

Works for me.

As for the Brits being pompous, we're not pompous, we're simply aware of our our history and achievements.

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

WRONG Barrie. The context that you used was not only not a joke it was also not in the least bit jocular, and the fact that you put quotation marks around the word people is likewise highly offensive.

If you met with me and were speaking it would be very different but in writing yes it goes off the wrong way.

1 minute ago, Barrie Stevens said:

So in other words we have the unknown of Brexit....Combined with a constitutional crisis...Sounds a bit Edward VIII. Timing just right for the markets eh what!

The immediate candidate for next Head of State gets pushed out of the way by his mum...His son a young prince who does not want it yet so he refuses the Crown in favour of his father as he has already stated he prefers...and we have the established head of state abdicating but remaining in the background leaving er? Harry? Mmm...I think he is now fourth in line Kate and Will's daughter takes precedence...

Frankly life is too short to care about this...Well mine is anyway!

Hey! Harry aka Hewitt as some say, and his wife produce  a little one or two even and she/he/they inherit her African genes which predominate and Hewitt's red hair (allegedly)

Glad it is not my job to advise the Royals...Life is really too short to bother with all this! 

The fortunate thing is that if Harry's wife does produce kids they will be far removed from ever being head of state if the monarchy is abandoned as I sincerely hope it will be.

1 minute ago, Barrie Stevens said:

If you met with me and were speaking it would be very different but in writing yes it goes off the wrong way.

Probably, indeed almost certainly.

6 minutes ago, Rog said:

I think I am right in saying that in terms of our race relations laws the Jews and Sikhs are identified as a "people" rather than a race but in order to protect them the law accords them protection in that for the purposes of the race relations act they are regarded as a race and not a "people". This is why I said "people".. 

6 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

Probably, indeed almost certainly.

...though I suspect it would probably go more like this...

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Damn...forgot to send her a birthday card again.

It's my old man's birthday today. Ninety four. He always said the flags, guns and bands were for him not her! It is his younger brother's birthday today 82...They are not twins (I have to say that for the sake of some of you!)...When I say my old man is 94 I should say his bones are...

13 minutes ago, Rog said:

The fortunate thing is that if Harry's wife does produce kids they will be far removed from ever being head of state if the monarchy is abandoned as I sincerely hope it will be.

We could offer one of the royals the crown of Essex... We have not had a king of Essex since Sigered who abdicated in 825.

7 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I think I am right in saying that in terms of our race relations laws the Jews and Sikhs are identified as a "people" rather than a race but in order to protect them the law accords them protection in that for the purposes of the race relations act they are regarded as a race and not a "people". This is why I said "people".. 

Accepted on that basis, but to correct it Jews are recognised as a race in their own right and always have been unlike Muslims etc.who do not have a specific homeland. Even as a result of the diaspora following the invasion by Muslims during their initial invasion and expansion period Jews retained their recognised homeland even though exiled by land thieving Muslims 1300 odd years ago.

Archived