Royal Wedding

hissingsid

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but that begs the question, why use all that sugar, power, bottles, etc, at a time of rationing and shortages, to produce the rosehip syrup and orange concentrate, when ascorbic acid vitamin C suppplementation could be got in the diet in other ways?

Concentrated orange juice was shipped over from the USA as from 1943 under the Lend-Lease programme just seen the Hansard debate...

7 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Concentrated orange juice was shipped over from the USA as from 1943 under the Lend-Lease programme just seen the Hansard debate...

Yes, but that wasn’t what the child health clinics supplied. It was boiled up into a syrup just like the rosehips.

25 minutes ago, Rog said:

The syrup was the fruit juice thickened by pectin, sweetened by (probably) saccharin, and fortified with ascorbic acid. 

There’s virtually no pectin in rosehips but quite a lot in oranges. But it wasn’t thick. It was syrup gloopy. Both of them. The Delrosa recipe is available on line  and is just rosehips, water, sugar. Thickening was by boiling down and reducing. 

Current Delrosa claims vitamin C but there’s no mention of ascorbic acid. Just the three ingredients I’ve listed above.

The rosehips syrup was said to be high in other vitamins, including A, So expecting mothers were told not to take it. I also think there was a warning not to dip baby dummies/pacifiers in to the undiluted syrup because of the sugar concentration. Wouldn’t have needed that if it had been saccharine.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but that wasn’t what the child health clinics supplied. It was boiled up into a syrup just like the rosehips.

Well fair enough!

So far as I am aware you make the old style concentrated orange juice by boiling it in a distilling like process ie drive the water out...And maybe add something like fortifying it with vitamin C? The welfare orange juice was a thick syrup but also loaded with sugar. But in days gone by sugar was the preservative especially once you had opened the sterile bottle. Not many fridges in those days anyway.

This concentrated syrup process I am pretty certain is the same process Uncle Sam used for Lend-Lease. Ditto Delrosa rose hip syrup...And apparently the same stuff you and I both (Enjoyed?) because it was continued post-war.

The 1940s in the USA did see the beginning of modern orange juice concentrate which is a freezing process much in use today in the world trading of this commodity. You drive the water out. When you use it or pack it you put it back. Not sticky syrup that stuff. Vast amounts of it go to Zeebrugge for distribution so that is another Brexit issue for someone.

However, it is wartime. Refrigerated or "Reefer" ships were fairly rare in those days and more likely to have been used for such as meat supplies. So we got orange juice syrup not the new fangled frozen concentrate. I think this syrup stuff continued to come from the USA post war as they were still geared up for it. (And have lots of oranges)

I was under the impression that the orange juice concentrate we had in the 1950s was still "courtesy of Uncle Sam." Had been originally given by the USA and in later years possibly purchased from the USA. 

Welfare orange juice was an ersatz anyway and I see no point in importing oranges especially in the 1960s only to smash them all down into a bottle of sticky syrup ersatz juice. More likely that the original USA source of the sticky syrup was continued albeit paid for this time?

Maybe we are both too old to know?

Actually the Welfare Orange Juice was not that thick as I was happy to take it neat off a spoon but to do that I had to sneak into the kitchen when Mum was not there!

Some mothers collected powdered milk called "Oster Milk" which I think was something to do with not breast feeding or not being able to? I did not get that. I do recall the school asking for the empty tins for various purposes like holding pencils in.

The other stuff was the Cod Liver Oil which would I bite the end off the spoon to get I liked it so much. Mum would hold her nose as the smell made her feel sick. I still take cod liver oil.

Some kids got malt as well. Not me though.

In our own way we sort of had "foodbanks" even then.

There were bottles of soft drinks then but a lot was made from a powder called "Cremola Foam" to which you could add Welfare Orange juice. A firm called "Robinsons" also made sachets of powder which you added to water. It was all basically baking powder stuff with flavouring and colour.

On the other hand, there was less waste and with hardly any drinks in cans and the bottles returnable for a deposit you could make do with one bin a week and the streets were not littered with discarded drinks containers. 

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Well fair enough!

So far as I am aware you make the old style concentrated orange juice by boiling it in a distilling like process ie drive the water out...

Boiling it would spoil the flavour. What they do (and it's the same sort of process for alcohol free beer) is place it in a container with the air at low pressure. The water (or alcohol) then comes off at a lower temperature

• 5 years later...
8 minutes ago, Writingskin said:

The media can sometimes go overboard with royal weddings, and it can feel a bit overwhelming. Meghan's resemblance to Wallis Simpson is quite an interesting observation.

I think this thread may have been revived by an AI reincarnation of Barrie Stevens. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Writingskin said:

Meghan's resemblance to Wallis Simpson is quite an interesting observation.

Really was Wallis Simpson of mixed race? 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News