This Forum

TheTool

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wise words my man.

money brings out the worst in people i would prefer a happy life than wads of cash.

The people with money spend all there time worring about it, it becomes a obbsession sad don't you think.

This old boy should have sold the house years ago and enjoyed the money then when it comes time to go in a home u can go in rent free, i bet he is in there with people that don't have a bean but he has to pay.

Three weeks ago an elderly gentleman was placed in Glenside due to not being able to look after himself and a shortage of home helpers, the only family he has live away and do not have the money to pay for the Care, Government are now going to sell his house, and I this information was given by someone who visits the old man

So the point that you're trying to make is that this elderly gentleman that can't look after himself and doesn't have any family living near by. He owns his own house and the Government feel that his house should be sold in order to provide funds for him to be given suitable care. In receiving this suitable care, his family, that do not live near by will not be able to receive the benefit of the proceeds of the house when this elderly gentleman dies.

The elderly Gentleman receives the care that he is entitled to and he keeps his dignity by being able to provide the funds from the sale of his house. He hasn't made suitable provisions for his retirement and old age but he has the assets of a property which he can use to release capital and fund a standard of living that he needs.

His relatives that do not live near by do not receive as much as they thought that they may get in his will. Tough!

If everyone had the outlook on life that they should be able to receive full time care and assistance when they are older and unable to look after themselves whilst still being able to retain all of their assets. Can you possibly imagine the amount of money that each person would need to contribute to the state in order to be able to fund this kind of care?

We only pay tax for the facilities that we use. We only pay NI for the health care that we receive. (On the Isle of Man I think that we have a very good health care system) Where does the contribution come from that provides full time care when we are elderly and unable to take care of ourselves? What happens to our assets, our homes when we go into a care home? Are they just to be left to relatives whilst the rest of the community fund our care?

I don't fancy paying for this elderly gentleman to be in a care home whilst his house sits there waiting for his relatives to get their hands on it when he eventually dies. Put it to good use and you never know, it might just free up some of the housing stock that you've been moaning about!

Stav.

Well said Stav.

Having spent 5 years looking after the elderly mentally ill, i recall on at least one occassion, the chidren of an elderly mum who had become increasingly confused and forgetfull.

'We can't possibly look after her, we both work....and then there's our holidays..she needs 24 hour care'

'Yes we agree, our assessments point to full time care, we feel that with 24 hour support we can maintain a good quality of life for mum'

'What a relief...all we want is whats best for mum...of course we need to get her house signed over'

'Why?'

'Well its obvious she can't manage her own affairs, and the house needs to be sold before it falls into disrepair'

'Yes of course, i will get our social work team involved, once its value is known and it is legally established that mum is not in a position to make a sound judgement, the proceeds can be used towards her future care'

'What?....thats our inheritance.....!!'

'No its your mums house'

'Errrmmm...we decided that mum can live with us, it would not be right her being in a home'

Three weeks ago an elderly gentleman was placed in Glenside due to not being able to look after himself and a shortage of home helpers, the only family he has live away and do not have the money to pay for the Care, Government are now going to sell his house, and I this information was given by someone who visits the old man

So the point that you're trying to make is that this elderly gentleman that can't look after himself and doesn't have any family living near by. He owns his own house and the Government feel that his house should be sold in order to provide funds for him to be given suitable care. In receiving this suitable care, his family, that do not live near by will not be able to receive the benefit of the proceeds of the house when this elderly gentleman dies.

The elderly Gentleman receives the care that he is entitled to and he keeps his dignity by being able to provide the funds from the sale of his house. He hasn't made suitable provisions for his retirement and old age but he has the assets of a property which he can use to release capital and fund a standard of living that he needs.

His relatives that do not live near by do not receive as much as they thought that they may get in his will. Tough!

If everyone had the outlook on life that they should be able to receive full time care and assistance when they are older and unable to look after themselves whilst still being able to retain all of their assets. Can you possibly imagine the amount of money that each person would need to contribute to the state in order to be able to fund this kind of care?

We only pay tax for the facilities that we use. We only pay NI for the health care that we receive. (On the Isle of Man I think that we have a very good health care system) Where does the contribution come from that provides full time care when we are elderly and unable to take care of ourselves? What happens to our assets, our homes when we go into a care home? Are they just to be left to relatives whilst the rest of the community fund our care?

I don't fancy paying for this elderly gentleman to be in a care home whilst his house sits there waiting for his relatives to get their hands on it when he eventually dies. Put it to good use and you never know, it might just free up some of the housing stock that you've been moaning about!

Stav.

Well said Stav.

Having spent 5 years looking after the elderly mentally ill, i recall on at least one occassion, the chidren of an elderly mum who had become increasingly confused and forgetfull.

'We can't possibly look after her, we both work....and then there's our holidays..she needs 24 hour care'

'Yes we agree, our assessments point to full time care, we feel that with 24 hour support we can maintain a good quality of life for mum'

'What a relief...all we want is whats best for mum...of course we need to get her house signed over'

'Why?'

'Well its obvious she can't manage her own affairs, and the house needs to be sold before it falls into disrepair'

'Yes of course, i will get our social work team involved, once its value is known and it is legally established that mum is not in a position to make a sound judgement, the proceeds can be used towards her future care'

'What?....thats our inheritance.....!!'

'No its your mums house'

'Errrmmm...we decided that mum can live with us, it would not be right her being in a home'

:( Sick-making,But so so true.

sell the house, get a corpy house or flat for buttons, buy the limmo you always wanted, go on world tours and cruises and enjoy yourself whilst you still can,

relatives will be earning ten times what you earned anyway and will only p155 it up against the wall :P

This is the norm.

As you said the elderly gentleman can no longer look after himself in his own home so what do you expect.

My granddad is of the opinion that you house is part of your 'nest egg', if your family cannot look after you then neither should they inherit your house. It is also good the the government provide care for those in less fortunate positions. I am glad a wise old man changed my mind, I used to get bitter about 'the poor old people' having to sell their homes, not anymore, I hope that if my family cannot look after me in my closing years, then, I will at least be able to pay for my own care, no matter how old you are there is still a stigma attached to 'hand outs'.

This is the same policy as in England ..but not Scotland. Most people think it is wrong.

Right or wrong I fail to understand the inconsistency of social policy. Did you know that while older people stand to lose their property should they require resiential care ... other people can be sat on an asset worth several hundred thousand pounds yet still qualify for means tested benefits.

Shouldnt older people be given the same consideration ?

Just say that this old man died within a short time, should the DHSS still keep the proceeds from the sale of his house. Also the state expect a pensioner to survive on very little, that being the case they should be able to care for them for the same amount. What about all the money this chap has paid in the the DHSS all his working life, should he not get some sort of return for it

Billions of pounds are funnelled through the offshore tax havens. Why not just impose a 1% tax on all the funds that flow through your island which avoids tax and use it for social programmes. That way you can look after everyone and you don't have to sell old peoples houses. Simple.

How much of the Islands DHSS funds are spent on pensioners from off the Island who have decided to retire here to save on tax, they have put nothing into the Manx economy but are prepared to fleece it

Just say that this old man died within a short time, should the DHSS still keep the proceeds from the sale of his house.

No. The balance that hasn't been spent would be part of his estate.

It isn't a case that a house is sold and the DHSS keeps all the money, the funds are used to pay for living accomodation as is used. A bit like rent, but it is being funded from savings rather than income.

How much of the Islands DHSS funds are spent on pensioners from off the Island who have decided to retire here to save on tax, they have put nothing into the Manx economy but are prepared to fleece it

I'd love to meet a pensioner well off enough to be able to afford to move to the island, its not as if they get a sheltered bungalow, rent covered by housing benefit, leaving them thousands to spend on monstrous wallpaper, bedding plants and Skoda's (formely Lada's before the fall of communism)

FCMR, most elderly folk iv'e met and thats a few, will always want to pay thier way, its usually the children pulling thier gibs as they see thier 'inheritance' erode.

Its of course very sad, when a home of an elderly person, with all its memories has to be sold, but with so much value in properties these days it can't be really be justified having £100-200,000+ sitting in the bank, whilst someone lives rent free, all meals and support/care provided.

Archived