Smart Meters are coming

Tempus Fugit

he can't read......

:lol:

So that's why the 6 years I spent at them university thingies were so hard.....

Oh  nearly forgot   :lol:

I won't stoop to your level by reminding you of the difference between 'of' and 'have'.....whoops...

Edited by ballaughbiker
I won't etc

So paraphrasing Andy from Onchan, the problems are :

1) Idiot installers aren't checking that there is a workable GSM signal in the intended meter location before getting their toolbox out of the back of the van.

2) Old generation meters are being installed that stop automatic data collection should the customer change energy providers.

Neither are a problem of the technology but of installation practice. It is noted that in 2) if an old meter has been installed, the system just reverts to the original mode of data collection. There idea that they are a disincentive to moving supplier seems to be unsupportable

Swopping suppliers isn't going to be an issue here anyway.

Just now, ballaughbiker said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the alleged health risks of all this extra radiation from the meter.

Go to the UK Government website and look it up. There's plenty there to choose from.

My point BB, is that we have bigger problems to resolve, much bigger problems. The money could be used elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Go to the UK Government website and look it up. There's plenty there to choose from.

My point BB, is that we have bigger problems to resolve, much bigger problems. The money could be used elsewhere.

If it’s an EU Directive do we have a choice? Yes I know we say we can pick and choose what we implement but in reality if Whitehall tell us to jump we jump. I don’t think we have a choice in the matter, personally. 

7 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

If it’s an EU Directive do we have a choice? Yes I know we say we can pick and choose what we implement but in reality if Whitehall tell us to jump we jump. I don’t think we have a choice in the matter, personally. 

So who's going to fund it?

20 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So who's going to fund it?

Absolutely no idea. However it's the same with the 5G rollout, they are both part of a much bigger drive of which opting out appears not to be an option.

There is no way the MUA is going to invest in helping their customers buy less of their product......

So some bean counter has figured out that under the EU cosh (hem hem) they can cut headcount adding £X to the bottom line while at the same time getting the punters to fund it. Of course, it will be sold along the lines that the tariff increase should be offset against the savings the users will get over time not. Plus when the investment is all paid off the tariffs will decrease to pre smart meter installation project prices not at all.

If they were serious about usage reduction a simple household leaflet extolling "Carbon Footprint Reduction" or some such nonsense that says "Set your washing machine to 30° on the shortest wash, bin your tumble dryer and clean your dirty dishes in the sink" or similar. That would have an immediate effect. Fortunately they can rely on the punter being prepared to pay through the nose for laziness convenience.

• Like 1

In the UK. one is not obliged to have a smart meter fitted but if at some future time your old meter needs to be replaced, it will be for a smart meter.

It will be paid for by higher tariffs, whether you have a smart meter or not but the experts say that even with increased costs there are still savings to be had ( if you can be bothered to use the information provided by the meter).

I still think that Key Meters would be better as these don't even need a bill to be collated and sent out! These allow you to see your daily cost of use and if you wanted to check a particular appliance, you could do so by switching everything else, except your fridge, off and get a near as dammit figure.

It really comes down to, how much would we make use of these smart meters and for how long, weighed against the cost of provision. Basically, a business case but our Govt are not so hot on providing those, are they?

I think it is totally out of order that this unproven, as of reliability and cost cutting, scheme is getting thrust upon us without any consultation at any level.   They consult about everything else and this is going to be the MUAs version of the big gas RIP off.    And once it is done that is it , why do they not trial a few a see if it is worthwhile first before putting the money out.   Sod the E U it is rapidly becoming history and the British are the only idiots that complies with all their nonsensical rules.   I bet Greece, Spain, Italy, Hungary and the rest of the gang haven't made plans to go with this nonsense.     The best plan would be drag the feet for a few years and see what happens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

In the UK. one is not obliged to have a smart meter fitted but if at some future time your old meter needs to be replaced, it will be for a smart meter.

It will be paid for by higher tariffs, whether you have a smart meter or not but the experts say that even with increased costs there are still savings to be had ( if you can be bothered to use the information provided by the meter).

I still think that Key Meters would be better as these don't even need a bill to be collated and sent out! These allow you to see your daily cost of use and if you wanted to check a particular appliance, you could do so by switching everything else, except your fridge, off and get a near as dammit figure.

It really comes down to, how much would we make use of these smart meters and for how long, weighed against the cost of provision. Basically, a business case but our Govt are not so hot on providing those, are they?

it's all bollox because when we use less the cost goes up,  we don't 'save' anything,  we just pay the same or more and they get to produce less electricity,  our costs go up, theirs go down,  bigger profit.   solar panels all round then.  it will go the way of gas,  not selling enough, can't really charge 3 times what it is across the water for the end product so we will have a fucking big line rental.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think it is totally out of order that this unproven, as of reliability and cost cutting, scheme is getting thrust upon us without any consultation at any level.   They consult about everything else and this is going to be the MUAs version of the big gas RIP off.    And once it is done that is it , why do they not trial a few a see if it is worthwhile first before putting the money out.   Sod the E U it is rapidly becoming history and the British are the only idiots that complies with all their nonsensical rules.   I bet Greece, Spain, Italy, Hungary and the rest of the gang haven't made plans to go with this nonsense.     The best plan would be drag the feet for a few years and see what happens.

And miss out on all that decreasing headcount and increased profits?

Don't think so....