Govt Pensions Revealed

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I work in the private sector and my pension is a defined contribution scheme, but I agree with Wrighty. You can't tell someone for years they are going to get X, allow them to structure their finances around that and a few years before they retire say "sorry you are only getting Y", when it's too late to make other arrangements. 

But this is what is happening with the state pension. People have been planning their lives at 60/65 retirement age, now it's 68+.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gettafa said:

But this is what is happening with the state pension. People have been planning their lives at 60/65 retirement age, now it's 68+.

Ah, but state pension recipients aren't (yet) going to gang up in industrial and threatened legal action and allegedly bring the Island grinding to a halt....:lol:

Prospective State pensioners are easy meat when "adjustments" have to be made, arising fron the failings of inept and spineless politicians.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Declan said:

I work in the private sector and my pension is a defined contribution scheme, but I agree with Wrighty. You can't tell someone for years they are going to get X, allow them to structure their finances around that and a few years before they retire say "sorry you are only getting Y", when it's too late to make other arrangements. 

I agree. But they did just that with womens pensions. Over night people were told they had to work another 5 years. No sliding scale there,  if you were due to retire in 3 months time is was now another 5 years.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Sorry but you taking the "moral" high ground is a bit laughable.

6 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Fair enough, his comments about morality with regards to pensions are laughable.

How so? I am taking a view across what is fair to all of the generations. I try to do this in all subjects.

I think you are confusing morality with liberal stupidity.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

How so? I am taking a view across what is fair to all of the generations. I try to do this in all subjects.

I think you are confusing morality with liberal stupidity.

"Liberal"

You are talking about altering an agreed contract (post agreement) because you don't think it is fair to everyone else.

Sound pretty "liberal" to me Comrade.

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Had they known that their promised lump some would be quartered then it would have been. You say I’m defending the indefensible, but you’re advocating the unjust. It’s like getting a builder to fit you a new kitchen for £10000, so he selects granite, German appliances etc. Just before finishing the last bit of sealant round the sink you tell him you’re only going to pay him £2500, and that he really should have known to use mdf and Hotpoint. 

I think we probably have a similar objective for the pensions issue, but clearly radically different notions of how to achieve them. 

It isn't really a valid analogy. I would draw a more pertinent parallel with private sector workers whose pensions have not come up to expectations, or indeed collapsed, and the women who were promised state pensions at 60 only to find they now have to work to 66. Plenty of hardship going on there. I don't suspect the people we are talking about on the gravy train would know hardship if it jumped up and bit them.

• Like 2

Just now, woolley said:

It isn't really a valid analogy. I would draw a more pertinent parallel with private sector workers whose pensions have not come up to expectations, or indeed collapsed, and the women who were promised state pensions at 60 only to find they now have to work to 66. Plenty of hardship going on there. I don't suspect the people we are talking about on the gravy train would know hardship if it jumped up and bit them.

Viva La Revolution Comrade!!!!

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

"Liberal"

You are talking about altering an agreed contract (post agreement) because you don't think it is fair to everyone else.

Sound pretty "liberal" to me Comrade.

I know it's not fair to everyone else. It's obscene. Plenty of agreements have been torn up in the past 30 years when it comes to industrial relations.

• Like 2

.......seems they are going to change old age pension to some strange formula where current recipients stay on the Manx supplement and new recipients get a flat £160, or is it £180?.................two tier OAP?............very odd............another ill thought out system although the complication will no doubt need even more staff...........

4 hours ago, WTF said:

I agree. But they did just that with womens pensions. Over night people were told they had to work another 5 years. No sliding scale there,  if you were due to retire in 3 months time is was now another 5 years.. 

Actually its now six years, but you are entirely correct, you spend a lifetime planning for a wife to retire at 60, but that suddenly becomes 66, whatever the rights and wrongs of pensions it is morally wrong to pull the rug from under responsible people who have spent a lifetime paying into the system for a benefit, the terms of which were set out by Government ! and the contributions to which were not voluntary !