Govt Pensions Revealed

Non-Believer

You’re an idealist. I see that. In time most of these jobs will be done online, some already are. But I’m the meantime when you want your passport for your holidays or your vehicle licence renewed or want a new driving licence or any of the hundred of mundane services that requires a human and a rubber stamp you will soon change your tune. 

And the government will never be able to provide the pension it promises. The arithmetic just doesn’t add up. Not even if you got rid of the rubber stampers. It’s the big guys that need to go. You like others are looking in the wrong area. It’s all part of the plan and you’re a willing participant. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ecobob said:

You’re an idealist. I see that. In time most of these jobs will be done online, some already are. But I’m the meantime when you want your passport for your holidays or your vehicle licence renewed or want a new driving licence or any of the hundred of mundane services that requires a human and a rubber stamp you will soon change your tune. 

A lot of jobs will be replaced by artificial intelligence. But they’re never going to invent an AI programme that’s a lazy useless fucker that screws up everything he’s instructed to do so those jobs will remain in the public sector for quite some time yet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

i thought you could already do a vehicle licence online??   bit of a double edged sword online stuff,  the post office were whimpering on the news a few days ago about the lack of letters and footfall through their post offices,   if they hadn't have moved to online then maybe the people would still have to go to a post office??

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

Well when the bank push you into an endowment (it will be fine son, and will definitely pay your debt), and stretch you as much as they can on the loan, it's not easy to do anything about it if you don't have the funds.

If you had taken the option of making a claim, you would have found yourself lucky to have got more than a handful of cash.

That's sounding like the endowment might have been a mis-sold. Have you approached your bank?

3 hours ago, Declan said:

That's sounding like the endowment might have been a mis-sold. Have you approached your bank?

Nope, because it actually made up lost ground and came good in the end.But yes, it was mis- sold, as the bank made out it was no risk, and it would pay off the debt.

It might just have easily not done if the stock market hadn't been so strong in recent times. I also appreciate this isn't comparing apples with pears with regard to pensions. Just highlighting the similarities. 

5 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

Nope, because it actually made up lost ground and came good in the end.But yes, it was mis- sold, as the bank made out it was no risk, and it would pay off the debt.

It might just have easily not done if the stock market hadn't been so strong in recent times. I also appreciate this isn't comparing apples with pears with regard to pensions. Just highlighting the similarities. 

Your endowment paid off your mortgage?????

I find that very hard to believe, sorry

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

Mine after 30 years didn't even amount to what I paid in.

Correct

We were told at worst it would be 7%

average would be 10%

we could though expect 13% so we would pay off the debt and have as much again in cash

turned out we were looking at about 1.5 to 2 %

Dropped it like a hot spud and changed to repayment

Edited by dilligaf

16 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Your endowment paid off your mortgage?????

I find that very hard to believe, sorry

It was a relatively small 1993 mortgage, but yes, it paid up (or will do next month). We have moved on to another property in the meantime, but if we had stayed there, we would be mortgage free next month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

It was a relatively small 1993 mortgage, but yes, it paid up (or will do next month). We have moved on to another property in the meantime, but if we had stayed there, we would be mortgage free next month.

As would mine. Our projections were based on 5,7,9%, and it’s looking like we’ll get about 90% of the projected amount, which would have been more than enough to pay off our first mortgage. Long since shifted to a repayment scheme, so the endowment will be a nice little bonus - probably pay uni fees - when it matures. 

• Like 1

Our endowment mortgage was taken out long enough ago for it ...just... to clear our debt, but that was s far as it went.

That was about 20 years ago.

Just as well. I am one of those in the Govt Pensions statistics who gets less than £10,000 a year (by quite a margin) but then I have moved jobs a bit in my lifetime!

Fortunately, right from the outset, I started to save for the future, not trusting any employer to provide all I needed in retirement, so I am now "comfortable". But, I now fear that those savings will be stolen as soon as I need to go into some sort of residential home. 

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Our endowment mortgage was taken out long enough ago for it ...just... to clear our debt, but that was s far as it went.

That was about 20 years ago.

Just as well. I am one of those in the Govt Pensions statistics who gets less than £10,000 a year (by quite a margin) but then I have moved jobs a bit in my lifetime!

Fortunately, right from the outset, I started to save for the future, not trusting any employer to provide all I needed in retirement, so I am now "comfortable". But, I now fear that those savings will be stolen as soon as I need to go into some sort of residential home. 

piss em up a wall,  if you have it the government take it, if you haven't they give it you.

• Thanks 1