US quits UN Human Rights Council

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Nauseating virtue-signalling at its most bilious...:whistling:

The accusation of "virtue-signalling" is in a sense a form of "virtue-signalling". In this sense it's recursive.

Certainly a lazy ad hominem well past its sell-by date.

ETA: the superlative also seems like an exaggeration.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Declan said:

Oh look Quilp's ranting about Muslims again. 

Isn't the point of the organisation that you accept all members, get them to sign up to the principles and then hold them to account? They will not necessarily meet Human Rights standards but the UN committee becomes a tool to pressuring them into change. 

If only that were so. Sadly, since the commissioner got blown to bits in Baghdad in 2003 it tends not to monitor, just examine complaints. It has some pretty unsavoury members, is ineffective and makes biased judgements. 

Hypocrisy is the homage that vice pays to virtue, and many sound principles are first uttered by rouges.

That is about the only hope we can get from the reality of the UN’s Human Rights body. 

Sure, the US has a worsening human rights record, but compared to Saudi, China or Russia then it is clear which is a better country to live in - and they are by no means the worst of the UNHCR’s members.

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Your trendy interpretation. Doesn't work in practice.

The greater good of the greater number is what counts.

So what happens to those who are not part of the "greater number" as you put it?

8 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Hypocrisy is the homage that vice pays to virtue, and many sound principles are first uttered by rouges.

That is about the only hope we can get from the reality of the UN’s Human Rights body. 

Sure, the US has a worsening human rights record, but compared to Saudi, China or Russia then it is clear which is a better country to live in - and they are by no means the worst of the UNHCR’s members.

You don't defeat the darkness by switching off the light.

5 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

I dunno.  Does your cliché explain how putting children in cages is moral?

I didn't use a cliche. I paraphrased the one you used. Your petty moral outrage for the entire world is quite bizarre.

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

I didn't use a cliche. I paraphrased the one you used. Your petty moral outrage for the entire world is quite bizarre.

"petty moral outrage".

The fact you seem to display no outrage at all, petty or otherwise, about children in cages says you're someone I don't need to be having a debate with about morals.

Archived