Water wheel at Groudle Glen

hissingsid

A water wheel at Groudle Glen has become, god knows how, the most newsworthy thing on MR today possibly because half the staff are related to Daphne who is relentlessly pursuing the matter now she has been relieved of the task of championing kids.    The cost of restoration is unknown, estimates have been given but we all know that means diddly push.   The Commissioners want the Government to take it on the Government say no, does this sound familiar...to further cloud the issue some enthusiastic amateurs have offered their services, at cost, no one knows what cost will be...we have all had nasty experiences with jobs like this.The head of the Commissioners of Onchan has rightly said there are no funds available they have an emergency fund but this is not an emergency.   He is quite right and I for one do not want a rate increase to pay for some tatty wheel, I doubt that I am alone in this.   Quirky thinks we should shell out the money which is another good reason why we should not. I would like to make a disclaimer here...I have never, ever, ever voted for Quirky.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Any ideas why no one bothered to maintain it following that freebie Rob?

The simple answer - someone took their eye off the ball......

The difficult answer - the Commissioners believed DEFA was responsible for the maintenance of all buildings and land etc under a licence....... DEFA have disputed this. 

This should have been addressed and dealt with 10 or 15 years ago

The main issue is the location of the Wheel and getting materials in and out of the Glen. 

It would definitely cost more than £20,000 - even with 100% volunteers 

Edited by Rob Callister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1