Water wheel at Groudle Glen

hissingsid

Folly, quaint or feux Victorian - however you describe it, it has drawn a selection of people to the glen. 

On the costs, I know groups of people who are willing to get involved and as someone alluded to, they consist of engineers, joiners and suchlike. For my sins, I was at the original meeting. Many companies have deep pockets and will also donate staff/resource IF someone can spark their interest.

My own personal view is ‘if’ it is restored, people should put the effort into creating something that isn’t just heritage. Applying some innovation, could put an interesting twist on it.

One of the reasons it existed was to draw in visitors, that’s a good starting point. The wheel as-is won’t pull my kids away from a PS4 or give me a reason to drag visitors through the glen - nor do I think it would if it was restored as-is.

It needs a little ambition, lateral thinking and creative thought. If that fails, pull it down.

You often find groups/departments/people become so preoccupied with why things can’t be done, embroiled in discussions and minutia - then it doesn’t happen, or we have a comprehensive solution of compromise (that is worse than pulling the thing down).  Its becoming the waterwheel brexit of Groudle.

Edited by joeyconcrete
  • Like 2

Give it to the MUA to refurbish and install a water-powered generator which will serve the Northern half of Onchan.

They should be able to do it for @ £300M.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I remember, for the Lovejoy episode that was shot on the Isle of Man, the film crew undertook no resoration work of the waterwheel, all they did was nail lengths of timber to it to make it look as if it was shiplap faced and then painted the result dark green. When they pulled the timber off, there were lines of paint left on the original structure which were still showing years later.

It would be great to see it restored and maybe a wheel powered generator installed to provide some festoon lighting to the railway. I do think private sponsorship would be the way forward instead of putting the burden on either the rate or tax payers.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, Maxmann said:

It has great sentimental value

a lot of young Onchan girls became women in that building

Not too young I hope.

Do Onchan not like tourists or visitors then? It's not like there is FA else in Onchan to visit, is there? Onchan Park is about it. Unless you're a big fan of estates and boy racers, which Onchan residents sure seem to be. There is nothing there at all. Nada. Diddly squat. You'd think the rate payers would be keen for their money to go on something slightly interesting really.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

It will cost thousands that Onchan has not got at their disposal if these Heritage clowns want to do it up give it to them as an advance Xmas present and tell them to do whatever they want with it...we do not care.

shouldn't of signed a lease then.......

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There are probably very few Onchanites who are aware of the water wheel let alone show an interest.   If you are so keen buy it off the Commissioners, do it up and watch it fall into not disrepair again for lack of interest.

c

they don't own it from what i read?

So who does own it ? I thought the glen was owned by 1. The Government 2. A private owner and 3. Onchan Commissioners.   If Onchan Commissioners are onlyblease holders surely it is up to the owners to keep the wheel in good repair and why on earth would the Commissioners lease an old water wheel.   The sensory garden was a great waste of money...nothing wrong wit the nice bench and rose beds there before, now it is just another  cost to the ratepayers.

Edited by hissingsid
Spelling