Water wheel at Groudle Glen

hissingsid

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So who does own it ? I thought the glen was owned by 1. The Government 2. A private owner and 3. Onchan Commissioners.   If Onchan Commissioners are onlyblease holders surely it is up to the owners to keep the wheel in good repair and why on earth would the Commissioners lease an old water wheel.   The sensory garden was a great waste of money...nothing wrong wit the nice bench and rose beds there before, now it is just another  cost to the ratepayers.

iomg own it- onchan lease it and are responsible for upkeep is my understanding.....

I vaguely remember similar conversations about Groudle Glen years ago, Molly Quirks and the other one (Begode? Bilboe?) both had DAFF signs Manx National Glen but Groudle didn't. It was probably this lack of clarity which meant houses got built right up close and the place floods a lot.

This would be a lovely project for people who like doing stuff like this.  it used to be that as communities we all used to communally fill the need.  Then came the government and then came the price increases and then we all thought why the bloody hell should we, the government can do it  and use the money I pay them in taxes. The government do too much.  it's no wonder we're skint and nanny state codependent  

And the mad thing is that people actually want to do something to help other people. They want to do it but they don't know how and when they try to do it they are blocked at every twist and turn and the bloody mob on Facebook gets going and every penny is analysed and every decision rubbished and soon they wondered why they bothered and they never did it again.  We really do have all this arse round you know.

I used to live in Laxey.  I used to walk regularly along the Glen Road and up past the waterfall.  It's a beautiful waterfall but the surroundings area bit shabby.  There's a beautiful tree and underneath of beautiful old metal framed wooden bench and, with a tiny bit of work it could be absolutely beautiful and would set the waterfall off a treat. I used to think that maybe I'd bring a fork out and start to clear some of the weeds, only a few at a time.  I thought how nice it would be if I worked away by stealth and created something a bit more pleasant on the eye than it is now.  I was on Facebook then, and that night on Laxey Central (a community webpage where the guy who runs it deserves a medal) someone brought up the area and said it could do with a tidy.  I had vision of us all out there and working together but by 11pm it was proper handbags at dawn and some of them didn't want daffodils and some of them wanted a picnic bench.  Fault finding, nit picking, suspicious and, well, fighting with one another.  The opportunity is lost. We don't know how to work together.  We've forgotten.  

But then, comes a real emergency, like when the sheep got stuck in the snow, and the whole Island was up and ready and at em and it was a marvellous success and lots of people felt really good afterward and for a long time after that because that's how you feel when you help someone.  It's a gift for you both, not just for the recipient.  We did so well because it was all hands to the deck and there was no time to be fighting because there were baby lambs to be saved and, we used the internet in a good way, to coordinate it all and the coordination was bloody marvellous.

I wasn't well enough to go out then but I followed it all on the Facebook. 

Anyway, christ, where was I.

The trouble now is that even if you got a group to work on it there's all health and safety bollocks and the interference from the people sitting on their arses on the computer complaining about it. 

I keep thinking I have a solution to this but then I think I don't.

Edited by ecobob
pissed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ecobob said:

This would be a lovely project for people who like doing stuff like this.  it used to be that as communities we all used to communally fill the need.  Then came the government and then came the price increases and then we all thought why the bloody hell should we, the government can do it  and use the money I pay them in taxes. The government do too much.  it's no wonder we're skint and nanny state codependent  

And the mad thing is that people actually want to do something to help other people. They want to do it but they don't know how and when they try to do it they are blocked at every twist and turn and the bloody mob on Facebook gets going and every penny is analysed and every decision rubbished and soon they wondered why they bothered and they never did it again.  We really do have all this arse round you know.

I used to live in Laxey.  I used to walk regularly along the Glen Road and up past the waterfall.  It's a beautiful waterfall but the surroundings area bit shabby.  There's a beautiful tree and underneath of beautiful old metal framed wooden bench and, with a tiny bit of work it could be absolutely beautiful and would set the waterfall off a treat. I used to think that maybe I'd bring a fork out and start to clear some of the weeds, only a few at a time.  I thought how nice it would be if I worked away by stealth and created something a bit more pleasant on the eye than it is now.  I was on Facebook then, and that night on Laxey Central (a community webpage where the guy who runs it deserves a medal) someone brought up the area and said it could do with a tidy.  I had vision of us all out there and working together but by 11pm it was proper handbags at dawn and some of them didn't want daffodils and some of them wanted a picnic bench.  Fault finding, nit picking, suspicious and, well, fighting with one another.  The opportunity is lost. We don't know how to work together.  We've forgotten.  

But then, comes a real emergency, like when the sheep got stuck in the snow, and the whole Island was up and ready and at em and it was a marvellous success and lots of people felt really good afterward and for a long time after that because that's how you feel when you help someone.  It's a gift for you both, not just for the recipient.  We did so well because it was all hands to the deck and there was no time to be fighting because there were baby lambs to be saved and, we used the internet in a good way, to coordinate it all and the coordination was bloody marvellous.

I wasn't well enough to go out then but I followed it all on the Facebook. 

Anyway, christ, where was I.

The trouble now is that even if you got a group to work on it there's all health and safety bollocks and the interference from the people sitting on their arses on the computer complaining about it. 

I keep thinking I have a solution to this but then I think I don't.

beach buddies seem to do ok,   didn't bill get a gong or something for his efforts?

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2018 at 7:41 AM, TheTeapot said:

Who built the houses at Groudle View? Dandara? They should pay for it, along with other footpath repairs for all the damage they caused.

What damage did they cause? The majority of the damage is to the lower glen footpaths and is privately owned.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:06 PM, ecobob said:

I think he did.  But when Bill set that up it was an easier climate to do it in.  I don't even think Facebook had been invented.

Beach buddies has largely been a Facebook campaign and was founded in 2007 and Facebook 2004, by 2007 Facebook was the becoming the dominant social media platform. Consider yourself schooled.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:00 PM, WTF said:

beach buddies seem to do ok,  

And it did so because, however much it looked like a collective, there was someone at the Centre organising and giving direction.

It can be a problem with small charities and social or community organisations, lots of people interested in the beginning but then descending into chaos as sectional interests compete.

Its a really difficult balancing act, offering the vision, recruiting, keeping together and then ensuring that there is a focus, direction of travel, aims and organisation. 

Youve got to have someone in charge and manipulating ( often surreptitiously ) to acheive long term success and survival.

• Like 3