Memorial Ride Out

La Colombe

2 hours ago, La Colombe said:

These are a bit odd aren't they? Like an offering to a God or Gods of human sacrifice, followed invariably by a ceremonial lap or two of some track or other. Very strange. Reminds me of the Aztecs.  

I find all such things bizarre - people holding 'vigils', memorial laps, visiting graves on birthdays etc.  I've lost loved ones, but have never felt the need to make a show of remembrance on anniversaries.  I can think about them any time using just the power of my mind.  A lot of the modern fascination with such things, post-Diana, is what is now called 'virtue-signalling'.

I do accept however that I may be in the minority holding this perspective.

• Like 11

I agree it is a bit morose and usually full of terrible false platitudes e.g. "For those that paid the ultimate sacrifice" or other similar bollocks. I don't like getting punched in the face and therefore never took up boxing, so I see no reason to trot out these memorial laps for people who fell off a motorbike knowing full well what they were getting into.

• Like 3

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

You mean the ugliest and nastiest bitch to walk on this planet ?

Not nastiest.....just uneducated and ignorant in the uneducated sense?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Not nastiest.....just uneducated and ignorant in the uneducated sense?

I will never think of her as anything other than nasty.

I watched every episode of CBB when she made life hell for Shilpa Shetty. Goody was a prize twat.

Sad that she died young, but that does not change my opinion of the twat.

4 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Why, he never went to the fucking moon in 69, we cantveven go there now?

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I will never think of her as anything other than nasty.

I watched every episode of CBB when she made life hell for Shilpa Shetty. Goody was a prize twat.

Sad that she died young, but that does not change my opinion of the twat.

The problem I had with her is that she was vaunted as a role model, sadly. 

• Like 1