Memorial Ride Out

La Colombe

Since the 90s with UN recognition since 2005. I accept it's not well known though. 

However, Remembrance Sunday has been going on since 1919 and is well known. Why the motorcycle community would think it appropriate to piggyback that commemoration is what I don't understand? No one would hold a Dead Rock Stars Memorial Jam at noon on  Remembrance Sunday would they? Yet the TT cult are tone deaf on these kind of issues.

• Like 6

Declan:

They have memorial laps were thousands of people do the same activity that killed the departed, I suppose that's a bit like raising a glass to George Best, but from the outside it looks a bit odd.

Or....wearing a cross to celebrate Jesus???

We're a very odd species.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Since the 90s with UN recognition since 2005. I accept it's not well known though. 

However, Remembrance Sunday has been going on since 1919 and is well known. Why the motorcycle community would think it appropriate to piggyback that commemoration is what I don't understand? No one would hold a Dead Rock Stars Memorial Jam at noon on  Remembrance Sunday would they? Yet the TT cult are tone deaf on these kind of issues.

I agree.

It's insensitive and somewhat crass of the MC fraternity to piggy back off the one and only time in the year when the British Isles pays homage to those who paid the ultimate price. Nothing, IMHO, is comparable to that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Choosing to race a motorcycle and then die as a result is very different to a young person pretty much being forced into the theatre of war and then die as a result.

To use the same day to remember to different events where people died is quite shameful, there are another 364 days, the organisers could have chosen any one of them, with the possible exception of Christmas Day.

Personally I couldn't care less what day they choose as I can never be offended (it's a pointless emotion) but there are, I'm quite sure, thousands of people who feel pretty pissed off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 years later...
2 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

That is the parade that already happens, albeit watered down now as races took over. 

My post was years ago. They've made what had happened once when I posted into a regular thing.