Memorial Ride Out

La Colombe

15 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

So, we remember the 5th November for a guy who got caught trying to blow up the authorities, we remember this by setting fire to gunpowder, 6 days later we remember those that died from gunpowder and who were sent to war by the authorities....this is a fucked up world.

You could always look at it that you are being encouraged to remember someone sent to his death by the authorities in the seventeenth century to maintain the status quo and hundreds of thousands sent to their deaths by the authorities in the twentieth century to maintain the status quo, if you were cynical.

• Like 3

The thing is, all this time I've been wondering why the Manx government is so at ease with making money out of killing young men (and occasionally women) in the name of sport. But I had it wrong. What they've been doing is giving us the opportunity to talk about death and what it means in human life. That's straight from the Big Man upstairs so you can't argue with it. Although it's kind of ironic that the last thing that fans of road racing want when it comes to the ugly side of their sport is for people to be talking about it. Mysterious ways indeed. 

3 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

The thing is, all this time I've been wondering why the Manx government is so at ease with making money out of killing young men (and occasionally women) in the name of sport. But I had it wrong. What they've been doing is giving us the opportunity to talk about death and what it means in human life. That's straight from the Big Man upstairs so you can't argue with it. Although it's kind of ironic that the last thing that fans of road racing want when it comes to the ugly side of their sport is for people to be talking about it. Mysterious ways indeed. 

I’m amazed that was up on You Tube to be honest? Is there a virtual church movement where even those too old and infirm to go to church can watch sermons on YouTube? 

I think it is an interesting perspective. In fact that and the other documentary where the marshal at the grandstand says "I must have been the last person to touch lots of riders", has kind of made me reassess my support for the TT. I've always taken the view that "they know the risks, so let them crack on" but actually when you hear the riders and the TT supporters talk about frankly, I'm not so sure that they do.

It's a bit like a cult where within that community norms are skewed. In the TT case it is risk perception and the commemoration of a death that seems a bit odd. So they say things like "well you could get killed crossing the road" and you could but it's relatively uncommon because people take steps to minimise the risks. By drawing that comparison something seems a little off with their risk perception. 

Similarly, the races carry on and it's not seen as disrespectful (and because the deceased were part of the TT cult, probably isn't). Or holding a minute's noise on Remembrance Sunday as if there's some sort of equivalence between dying in the TT and WWII (when they could have held it a week later on the more comparable World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims). They have memorial laps were thousands of people do the same activity that killed the departed, I suppose that's a bit like raising a glass to George Best, but from the outside it looks a bit odd.

Are the riders and the TT community so wrapped up in that world, that their decision making is compromised to the extent that "they don't know the risks"? And if so, like they do with drugs, should the government act?

Edited by Declan
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think it is an interesting perspective. In fact that and the other documentary where the marshal at the grandstand says "I must have been the last person to touch lots of riders", has kind of made me reassess my support for the TT. I've always taken the view that "they know the risks, so let them crack on" but actually when you hear the riders and the TT supporters talk about frankly, I'm not so sure that they do.

It's a bit like a cult where within that community norms are skewed. In the TT case it is risk perception and the commemoration of a death that seems a bit odd. So they say things like "well you could get killed crossing the road" and you could but it's relatively uncommon because people take steps to minimise the risks. By drawing that comparison something seems a little off with their risk perception. 

Similarly, the races carry on and it's not seen as disrespectful (and because the deceased were part of the TT cult, probably isn't). Or holding a minute's noise on Remembrance Sunday as if there's some sort of equivalence between dying in the TT and WWII (when they could have held it a week later on the more comparable World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims). They have memorial laps were thousands of people do the same activity that killed the departed, I suppose that's a bit like raising a glass to George Best, but from the outside it looks a bit odd.

Are the riders and the TT community so wrapped up in that world, that their decision making is compromised to the extent that "they don't know the risks"? And if so, like they do with drugs, should the government act?

An interesting and thought provoking post

1 hour ago, Declan said:

The government are a part of the TT community. 

The 'minutes noise' was  for all members of the motorcycling community to remember all motorcyclists who had "gone under the chequered flag " including those who had died of old age.

Just saying

Personally I've never heard of "world day of remembrance for road traffic victims" , how long has that been going on?

1 hour ago, Declan said:

The 2 minutes silence was observed at Laxey at 11.00 .