World Cup Final

yootalkin2me

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

With feckin' names like Marcus, Fabian, Ashley, Ruben and all those double-barrel names, it's no wonder England haven't won the world cup since '66.

In '66 there was a Bobby, Jack, Ray, Ron, Geoff, Nobby, Gordon etc, proper men's names.  And they all played without shin pads.

And crucially, VAR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

That may or may not be true. I have no idea

I watched them beat Cambridgeshire (I think - Dudley Butt will remember) in the final and then there was a pissing contest because they didn't want to wear the 3 Lions emblem going forward from there.

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I watched them beat Cambridgeshire (I think - Dudley Butt will remember) in the final and then there was a pissing contest because they didn't want to wear the 3 Lions emblem going forward from there.

But they did anyway.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:03 PM, woolley said:

Indeed it is. The IOM FA is affiliated to the FA with county status.

One year they won the National League System Cup, a splendid achievement given the population, and went on to represent England in Europe, playing in England colours.

From Wiki:

In the 2005–06 season, the Isle of Man national team won The FA National League System Cup, a competition for amateur teams representing the leagues at Step 7 of the National League System with a few other leagues permitted by the FA. The Isle of Man beat the Cambridgeshire Football Association County League team 4–0 in the final and represented England in the UEFA Regions' Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_official_football_team

Blimey I'm off to sign for Castletown - Qatar in 2022 needs my skill!

On 7/12/2018 at 12:55 PM, pongo said:

Isn't IOM football part of the English FA? I'm sure it used to be..

Yes, 7th level. Gets funding. In effect a County. That’s why Ellan Vannin was set up, to join CONFIFA, to play “internationally” under Manx colours ( until they took their Ball home and got suspended from CONFIFA for not abiding by its (corrupt) decisions about player eligibility at its World Cup a few weeks ago )

• Like 1

• 4 years later...