Shimmins' comments an 'insult to residents of the Isle of Man'

gettafa

47 minutes ago, woolley said:

I just can't get my head around people still going on about the loss of a sum of money when we actually made many times that sum of money from our film activities over a couple of decades which now forms a nice chunk of the reserves that we sorely need. It's nuts. There must surely be a public interest argument for putting this to bed and ending the continual raking over of the ashes.

How did you measure how much money was made...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What was reckless about it?  There was a MDF that invested in media development.  It lost 16m (before taking into account any indirect benefit outside the MDF).  Which bit was reckless?

It was outside Governments own rules about how investments are made on its behalf. It was run by a small pool of individuals all of who were as obstructive as possible when it came to any questions being asked in Tynwald. Forget the overall picture this investment lost a huge amount of other peoples money ! If thats not reckless I don't know what is !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I just can't get my head around people still going on about the loss of a sum of money when we actually made many times that sum of money from our film activities over a couple of decades which now forms a nice chunk of the reserves that we sorely need. It's nuts. There must surely be a public interest argument for putting this to bed and ending the continual raking over of the ashes.

Or is the whole thing a smoke screen to deflect attention from the numerous initiatives that actually have lost us shed loads of cash?

Losing shed loads of cash is what we are good at ! Start here then rake over other ashes, we need people in public office who have respect for money which is not theirs !

Over the past twenty five years we have heard with sickening regularity the loss of millions of pounds of taxpayers money with many lessons having not been learned !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, asitis said:

Losing shed loads of cash is what we are good at ! Start here then rake over other ashes, we need people in public office who have respect for money which is not theirs !

Over the past twenty five years we have heard with sickening regularity the loss of millions of pounds of taxpayers money with many lessons having not been learned !

Yes. We are good at losing long millions but we didn't do so as a result of our activities in film taken in the round. Had we never done it we would be a great deal worse off. 

1 hour ago, asitis said:

That's not exclusive to the island though right?

Why dont you step up?

On 9/28/2019 at 5:15 PM, Non-Believer said:

Depending on how you look at it, how it's calculated and the duration, some quoted Govt losses to the film industry dalliance are as high as £100M. Either way, the IoM has never had a place in film making history's annals. Anals maybe.

If I recall from the numbers I crunched from the government accounts over the years the amounts written off totalled £126 million.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If I recall from the numbers I crunched from the government accounts over the years the amounts written off totalled £126 million.

More detailed figures on the direct film investment were given to Beecroft in a Keys question last year.  This listed each film that had been invested in and what had been written off (tables never copy in well, so you'll have to use the link).  The total written off at that time was £20,664,001 under CinemaNX and £6,190,000 under Pinewood, giving a total of £26,854,001.  But at least[1] another £3.5 million was shown as outstanding and it's likely that there will be more write-off's concerning those, especially the more recent releases.  So £30 million might be a good approximation, though there may be other losses elsewhere relating to earlier investment or other film related activities.

One of the things that the defenders of film investment always claim in that the amount that you lose on the large number of duds is made up for by the enormous profits on the smaller number of winners.  But of the 31 films listed here only two are shown as making a profit (another breaks even).  And those profits are tiny.  A 1% profit on the investment in Belle of £3.4 million and only £2,123 on an investment of £887,525 in Iron Man.  Incidentally IMDB shows a gross of £585 million on this on a budget of £140 million, but if someone was rolling in money from it, it wasn't the Manx taxpayer.  As I'v said before sometimes the most creative part of the film business is the accountancy.

Of course on top of all this there's the question of additional costs for running these operations and so on and where the money for that and for dealing it at the IOMG end comes from.  These may be spread over these figures, but are more likely separate.

[1]  Figures for one film weren't shown as it was in the process of being sold and so still commercially confidential.

• Thanks 2

On 10/1/2019 at 4:32 PM, woolley said:

So how much did we make on that Roger? Does it not dwarf all other considerations?

Well if  by "" Dwarf'' , you mean smaller then ..............

Edited by Kopek