Tram & Bus Incidents

manxy

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m just wondering if we paid the cost. A lot of day to day incidents are self-insured to save costs on external insurance. So if it was rebuilt at our cost as well I’d be interested to know. Might do an FOI. 

I'm pretty sure the bus into the river in Laxey was a self insured incident. So this probably is too.

• Like 1

The road where it was parked 😙  is very steep and that bus would be moving at some speed across busy main road, road leading to signpost corner, so really it is a blessing and a miracle it did not hit a car or any other vehicle on its journey.   It could have been a lot worse luckily no one was hurt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

The road where it was parked 😙  is very steep and that bus would be moving at some speed across busy main road, road leading to signpost corner, so really it is a blessing and a miracle it did not hit a car or any other vehicle on its journey.   It could have been a lot worse luckily no one was hurt.

Similarly, the same applies to the runaway tram down the mountain.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Personally, despite the judgement, is still find it amazing that getting off the bus having not put the handbrake on, on a hill, doesn't mean automatic dismissal. It just seems such an obvious and stupid mistake.

On the face of it I agree, but according to the tribunal notes, they suggest that the driver was unaware that the ‘hold brake’ would fail if the isolator switch was turned off, and he should have used the Hand Brake. Despite a similar incident a couple of years earlier, Longworth didn’t ensure that drivers had proper training, nor did he warn drivers of the possible outcome if the correct procedures weren’t followed. 

Don’t shout at me by the way, as I see plenty of flaws too, I am only paraphrasing what Alistair Stewart said in his judgement. That said, I had an employment hearing in front of him, and as the employer, I still feel very aggrieved with how he chaired the hearing, he appears to be more professional when legal representatives are present for both parties.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

It does go to show that there is a hell of a lot of money being chucked about within the government employ. From the linked judgment:

......loss of earnings, lost pension benefits, loss of statutory rights and loss of free bus travel totalling £415,210.36

Tip of the iceberg. This is 'just' a bus driver.

Though he only actually got £60,816 because of capping.  I'm sure there won't be any cap on what Longworth and co get when they finally get rid of them.

Of course if they had actually reinstated the guy there would be no need to pay out much and it was clear that the Tribunal wanted this to happen.  But Longworth refused, basically out of spite because he had been shown up.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Personally, despite the judgement, is still find it amazing that getting off the bus having not put the handbrake on, on a hill, doesn't mean automatic dismissal. It just seems such an obvious and stupid mistake.

if you read the story, it appears complacency and lack of training was a major contributor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though he only actually got £60,816 because of capping.  I'm sure there won't be any cap on what Longworth and co get when they finally get rid of them.

Of course if they had actually reinstated the guy there would be no need to pay out much and it was clear that the Tribunal wanted this to happen.  But Longworth refused, basically out of spite because he had been shown up.

Longworth is still a prick

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

In addition I wonder how much the legal fees were, for both parties?

6 hours ago, Barlow said:

It does go to show that there is a hell of a lot of money being chucked about within the government employ. From the linked judgment:

......loss of earnings, lost pension benefits, loss of statutory rights and loss of free bus travel totalling £415,210.36

Tip of the iceberg. This is 'just' a bus driver.

Not really, even ten years' loss of earnings for a bus driver would be £250k. Add in how they've screwed him out of a pension and free bus travel worth £800 a year and it soon mounts up.

Given his circumstances, he can't work as a bus driver as there isn't another bus company to work for.

What's more interesting is how the DOI refused to engage because they knew the cap would apply. Goes to show the cap isn't fit for purpose.

Speaking of Longworth, any news about how that MER tram managed to derail on a straight bit of track?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So where does the money come from? Presumably, it won't come out of the department budget but instead some central fund. Think it's f'ing disgrace either way that the public purse ends up paying for rank incompetence, i.e. not providing the right training for the equipment your staff are using. Funny how no-one is ever sacked for negligence once they get behind a desk.

Civil servants is becoming an oxymoron. 

• Like 1