Tram & Bus Incidents

manxy

The trouble with those tram crossings is that the trams don't really go fast enough to gain the respect of other users. If they were to go, say, 40 mph faster then road users would pay more attention when approaching any crossing. Also, a couple of coal trucks pulled behind would imply enough momentum to make even the the most daredevil of motorists think twice. 

54 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Also, a couple of coal trucks pulled behind would imply enough momentum to make even the the most daredevil of motorists think twice. 

Jebus, they can't get the brakes to work just to stop the tram by itself......

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

The trouble with those tram crossings is that the trams don't really go fast enough to gain the respect of other users. If they were to go, say, 40 mph faster then road users would pay more attention when approaching any crossing. Also, a couple of coal trucks pulled behind would imply enough momentum to make even the the most daredevil of motorists think twice. 

It would certainly make the game of chicken more interesting, that's for sure.

Getting back to a more serious note ...

There is little doubt that the visibility at one or two crossings is poor. However, that does not apply to the crossings in the centre of Laxey.

What is also poor, is the attitude of some drivers. The trams make a lot of noise when they approach the crossings. This is of little help to those people who insist on driving around with their radios playing at maximum volume. If the car drivers cannot see, and cannot hear, how on earth do they expect to cross the tramlines safely?

With the standard of car driving being so low, it really is a surprise that there are not more of these incidents.

• Like 1

Collisions have always happened, not sure why they are newsworthy all of a sudden.

That particular crossing does seem to attract a lot of car/van/motorbikes that try to play chicken against the trams, not sure why as its in a 20mph zone. I remember one driver who collided there whos radio you could clearly hear down in the station, no wonder they did not hear the tram whistle. 

Light controlled crossing probably no use as the ones that are controlled like that i found got lots of people trying to jump the red lights.

Trams have right of way and i can pretty well guarantee that your vehicle will come off worse than the tram so it would be sensible for drivers to pay attention aproaching crossings although they may well have been in this particular instance.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

23 hours ago, Kopek said:

Stinky, I understand your sentiments with regard to loading the trams but...

there are 6 to 8 MHKs using that route, how could we cope with that many by elections on their deaths????

The opportunity would be welcomed...

12 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Collisions have always happened, not sure why they are newsworthy all of a sudden.

That particular crossing does seem to attract a lot of car/van/motorbikes that try to play chicken against the trams, not sure why as its in a 20mph zone. I remember one driver who collided there whos radio you could clearly hear down in the station, no wonder they did not hear the tram whistle. 

Light controlled crossing probably no use as the ones that are controlled like that i found got lots of people trying to jump the red lights.

Trams have right of way and i can pretty well guarantee that your vehicle will come off worse than the tram so it would be sensible for drivers to pay attention aproaching crossings although they may well have been in this particular instance.

Is that the latest DoI press release???