Hosepipe ban

Ham_N_Eggs

10 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Yes, it seems to just apply to watering private gardens and private cars. So can still fill hot tubs and swimming pools. 

Strictly speaking and in the eyes of the law, yes, that's right. So fill you hot tub and then empty it on your garden and car.

I'd like to think the GMP would pull together without the need to explicit laws though. Just use less water. We are a small island miles from anywhere. We should preserve our water by being sensible. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Some of the really interesting things with the water level drop are, some of the marinas are now kms from the water, house boats are now just houses and bodies and sunken boats are turning up all over the plaice. 

sorted

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

According to the Water lot the Manx public are responsible for the shortage and the need to impose this ban because we did not follow instructions.  What cheek…but I bet it will start raining now it always does when the kids break up.

Can I ask what instructions weren't followed?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Discussed on an earlier thread (with a useful MUA link).  It wouldn't really help much and would need a lot of work.

Interesting link to the reservoirs, thanks.   Do you know anywhere which states how much electricity is generated using hydro from them?  I'm actually quite surprised this hasn't been jumped on to show our green and renewable credentials. 

It's a shame that as only two of them are really used for drinking, that the others can't be used for watersports.  I know Injebreck sort of is currently, but it's through some sort of sailing club.   I know a couple of people over the last few years have tried unsuccessfully to set-up wake/ski parks.

49 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Interesting link to the reservoirs, thanks.   Do you know anywhere which states how much electricity is generated using hydro from them?  I'm actually quite surprised this hasn't been jumped on to show our green and renewable credentials.

There was much trumpeting a year or more back about what the hydro plant at Sulby was contributing to the local grid. I think Tim Baker may have been involved at the MUA at the time? One hears different opinions about the hydro plant.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Do you know anywhere which states how much electricity is generated using hydro from them?  I'm actually quite surprised this hasn't been jumped on to show our green and renewable credentials. 

According to the MUA website:

The turbine house has two 600 kilowatt water turbines with an annual output of up to 4 gigawatt hours, or 1% of the Island’s needs.

I'm always a bit suspicious when "up to" appears, but looking at the MUA 2020-21 Accounts:

We provided 351 million units of electricity to 42,200 homes, and 6,000 businesses on the Island. 

[...] We provided 3.5 million units of green energy via our hydro-electric plant during the year.

So the 1% seems about right.

As for crowing about renewable energy, one problem is that this is old and reliable tech and so not suited to the usual IOMG boasting about mega-millions being spent.  More importantly the MUA have long hated the very idea of renewable energy, most of the Proffitt-recruited minions are still in place (on those salaries and terms nothing will dislodge them) and they hate the idea that anything might take the shine off their darling power station by being cheaper and more efficient. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hillside said:

Can someone tell me how I can access the official order online?

I couldn't find it. I only saw what was in the Examiner.

We had a hot tub installed in August 2018 and there was either a hosepipe ban in place or, more likely, it had just finished. I mention it to the installation team and they said it didn't / wouldn't have mattered as it only applies to watering private gardens or washing private cars.

ETA Examiner notice

CleanShot 2022-07-27 at 13.19.44@2x.png

Edited by The Old Git