Hosepipe ban

Ham_N_Eggs

It was hotter during parts of lockdown.

The news outlets are desperate for something to write. The BBC are using their so-called investigations to use as news, such as earlier in the week their investigations found that dentists are in short supply and it was on all the news and they made programmes about it.

Hot weather/summer is always a good 'news' item and when you imply a bit of global warming then its lots of news. Hosepipe bans are a blessing to them.

8 minutes ago, AOR said:

It was hotter during parts of lockdown.

The news outlets are desperate for something to write. The BBC are using their so-called investigations to use as news, such as earlier in the week their investigations found that dentists are in short supply and it was on all the news and they made programmes about it.

Hot weather/summer is always a good 'news' item and when you imply a bit of global warming then its lots of news. Hosepipe bans are a blessing to them.

It was hotter in parts of lockdown.

I don’t think it was this dry though?  

As much as people take the piss out of MUA it wouldn’t need to be this dry for a huge amount longer to start causing real issues

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Bloody he'll it's hot. Must be at least 22C.

Seriously though, has anyone ever seen it so dry. My garden is like a desert. 

I blame the MUA for not having another extra trick to the hospipe ban....maybe  tooth brushing ban just to bring us some rain.

I've been filling a few buckets from the kitchen tap and driving up to the reservoirs to pour them in. It's hard work in this heat but if we all did it then I'm sure they would be full in no time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

36 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I've been filling a few buckets from the kitchen tap and driving up to the reservoirs to pour them in. It's hard work in this heat but if we all did it then I'm sure they would be full in no time.

If only everyone was as selfless as you we would have no problems. 😅

I'm going to follow you lead and start doing this tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

As much as people take the piss out of MUA it wouldn’t need to be this dry for a huge amount longer to start causing real issues

I'm not sure that their numbers suggest that.

Last week, the reservoirs were said to be 70% full, this week it was 68%. This implies, in simple terms, that we have around 34 more weeks supply of water, if  there is no rain, which would take us through to next Easter. 

My feeling is that we have a few Senior Civil Servants just exercising their powers, because they can, and a political chair, who isn't smart enough to check their sums.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'm not sure that their numbers suggest that.

Last week, the reservoirs were said to be 70% full, this week it was 68%. This implies, in simple terms, that we have around 34 more weeks supply of water, if  there is no rain, which would take us through to next Easter. 

My feeling is that we have a few Senior Civil Servants just exercising their powers, because they can, and a political chair, who isn't smart enough to check their sums.

Its an interesting observation. But there must be more to it than that. 

Reservoirs are not just stores of water, they are dynamic things which balance difference between what's going in and what's going out.

There certainly not enough water to last to Easter if there is nothing going in off the hills.

Calling @Roger Mexicostato.

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its an interesting observation. But there must be more to it than that. 

Reservoirs are not just stores of water, they are dynamic things which balance difference between what's going in and what's going out.

There certainly not enough water to last to Easter if there is nothing going in off the hills.

Calling @Roger Mexicostato.

I wasn't really suggesting that there is enough to last until Easter, as there will, inevitably, be large volumes of rain between now and then, so the point is moot.

I just think the numbers, and accompanying explanations, don't really explain why 68% capacity is an issue, and are unconvincing. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2