Hosepipe ban

Ham_N_Eggs

Just now, Nellie said:

I wasn't really suggesting that there is enough to last until Easter, as there will, inevitably, be large volumes of rain between now and then, so the point is moot.

I just think the numbers, and accompanying explanations, don't really explain why 68% capacity is an issue deal and are unconvincing. 

Yes I agree. Something doesn't add up. 

31 minutes ago, Nellie said:

They quote some numbers here.

https://www.manxutilities.im/our-environment/our-reservoirs/latest-reservoir-levels/

But without data on capacity of each, it doesn't help very much. 

Try here.

(Note that the fact that Sulby can be used to top up West Baldwin explains why that actually increased in the figures on the latest levels).

I'm guessing some of the issues are around the flow coming in has dried up but they still have to let water out in to the rivers below the reservoir as well as supply water to houses.

After the last hot spell the river in to Clypse was virtually dry with no water going in to the reservoir. 

The ground is so dry even modest amounts of rain will do very little to fill reservoirs up. It'd take a few days of constant heavy rain to saturate the ground and get rivers back to usual levels for this time of year. 

All that said, unless we had an extremely unusual late autumn and winter, there's not likely to be much of a problem. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I'm guessing some of the issues are around the flow coming in has dried up but they still have to let water out in to the rivers below the reservoir as well as supply water to houses.

After the last hot spell the river in to Clypse was virtually dry with no water going in to the reservoir. 

The ground is so dry even modest amounts of rain will do very little to fill reservoirs up. It'd take a few days of constant heavy rain to saturate the ground and get rivers back to usual levels for this time of year. 

All that said, unless we had an extremely unusual late autumn and winter, there's not likely to be much of a problem. 

I agree. If I didn't rain in September it would be very unusual and if it doesn't rain by November it will be un heard of.

11 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Bloody he'll it's hot. Must be at least 22C.

Seriously though, has anyone ever seen it so dry. My garden is like a desert. 

I blame the MUA for not having another extra trick to the hospipe ban....maybe  tooth brushing ban just to bring us some rain.

Summer of '76.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Wtf is bad about it. Next year we all will be moaning about the rain.

Yeah that's a fair point. I love it to be warm and sunny too. I meant bad in terms of dryness, which is sort of good for other things.

The perfect summer would be dry for six months with one week of rain in the middle. Hopefully a week when my neighbours are on holiday.

10 hours ago, Nellie said:

I'm not sure that their numbers suggest that.

Last week, the reservoirs were said to be 70% full, this week it was 68%. This implies, in simple terms, that we have around 34 more weeks supply of water, if  there is no rain, which would take us through to next Easter. 

My feeling is that we have a few Senior Civil Servants just exercising their powers, because they can, and a political chair, who isn't smart enough to check their sums.

Just looking at this again I reckon its going down at 4% a week. That would make it a whole different ballgame.