Hosepipe ban

Ham_N_Eggs

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm not sure why it's so important that rivers are kept topped up from reservoirs while consumers are rationed.

I would have thought that rivers had to take care of themselves long before human intervention.

Just musing.

That's the point.  It's the human intervention that is taking water out of the rivers (or not letting it get in in the case of reservoirs), they would be fine without that.  And of course they will need to be kept flowing to support lots of other human activities further downstream.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Reservoirs are full

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/islands-reservoirs-fully-recover-from-summer-months/

I remain convinced that the hospepipe ban was an unnecessary overreaction.

Me too, at best levels only dropped to 60%, didn't they, still 2/3rds full.

If the fuel gauge on your car was reading 2/3rds full and it was only a few miles to the filling station would you start driving slowly or more economically?

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Me too, at best levels only dropped to 60%, didn't they, still 2/3rds full.

If the fuel gauge on your car was reading 2/3rds full and it was only a few miles to the filling station would you start driving slowly or more economically?

That would depend how certain I was that the filling station was open and had stocks.  In the case of a petrol station you can probably be pretty certain.

It’s not quite the same as taking a bet on if there will be enough rain over the next few weeks, especially if when using your analogy the next hundred miles are up a steep incline (increased use through a dry spell unless they impose a ban).  Also a car runs just the same and actually more efficiently at quarter full than it does at full. I am not sure you can say the same if a water infrastructure 

Impact of a ban on people is negligible, the consequences if they ran really low are water are massive.  I don’t see playing it safe as a big deal.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

It was always going to start raining again.

Of course it was. But what if there had been no hosepipe ban and then it didnt rain until now. Of course it always rains in the end but it would not be impossible to have a dry September. Then we would have been saying why didnt the idiots reduce the water use? Why did they let us get into this situation?  

Like @Asthehillssays. It was a sensible thing to do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Did the hosepipe ban actually cause any hardship?  May have been a bit inconvenient, but was there any real hardship?

Probably not, no.

The government however used the threat of prosecution* to enforce behaviour change, for no good reason.

People may see it as nothing, but its actually important.

*Apparently no one on the isle of man has ever been prosecuted for using a hosepipe during a ban.

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Did the hosepipe ban actually cause any hardship?  May have been a bit inconvenient, but was there any real hardship?

No real hardship but my fruit trees suffered, smaller apples and cherries, as did the climbing roses and Honeysuckle. At the same time it doesn't help they're all containered.

Same again next year, probably.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

No real hardship but my fruit trees suffered, smaller apples and cherries, as did the climbing roses and Honeysuckle. At the same time it doesn't help they're all containered.

Same again next year, probably.

Yes, my containered hydrangeas suffered (clue is in the name).  Think I will plant them in the ground next spring.  Everything else is in the ground and fared OK. 

Thinking about a butt too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1