Hosepipe ban

Ham_N_Eggs

53 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I have four rain water barrels around the house, can I use the hose pipe off these to water my garden or is that not allowed too.               

After all the rain we have had they are full.

you'll be fine, just tell'em some bloke on the internet said it was ok.......

:whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have just finished watering my vegetables with a can, probably used the same amount of water I would with my hose but just got in a sweat doing it !

Meanwhile the car wash across the road continues to pour hundreds of gallons of water down the drain ! If the idea is to save water where does this make any sense ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

you'll be fine, just tell'em some bloke on the internet said it was ok.......

:whistling:

The law says you can.

Restriction on use of hosepipes

20. (1) If the Authority is of opinion that there is or is likely to be a serious deficiency of water available for distribution by it, it may for such period as it thinks necessary, prohibit or restrict as respects the whole or any part of the Island the use for the purpose of watering private gardens or washing private motor cars of any water supplied by it and drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus.

(2) In sub-paragraph (1) private motor car means a motor vehicle within the meaning of the Road Traffic Act 1985, other than 

1. (a)  a public passenger vehicle (within the meaning of the RoadTransport Act 2001);59

2. (b)  a goods vehicle within the meaning of the said Act of 1985, and includes any vehicle drawn, by such a vehicle.

(3) The Authority shall, before a prohibition or restriction under this paragraph comes into force, give public notice in 2 or more newspapers published and circulating within the Island of the date when it will come into force.

(4) Any person who contravenes a prohibition or restriction in force under this paragraph shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,000.

Has everyone noticed that from the exact moment that the hosepipe ban came into force the weather has become cooler, windier and wetter. This week is no exception. The prime motivator for the ban was the Met Office prediction that the cumulative rainfall for August/September/ October had only a 40% chance of attaining the 3 month average for those months. My own prediction is that that will prove to be bollocks.

Incidentally, whereas MR reported the Met Office comment as I have set it out above, another media outlet (I think IOMN) reported that there would be “only 40% of the usual rainfall for those 3 months” which is a completely different thing and not, I am reliably informed, what the Met Office actually said.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Has everyone noticed that from the exact moment that the hosepipe ban came into force the weather has become cooler, windier and wetter. This week is no exception. The prime motivator for the ban was the Met Office prediction that the cumulative rainfall for August/September/ October had only a 40% chance of attaining the 3 month average for those months. My own prediction is that that will prove to be bollocks.

Incidentally, whereas MR reported the Met Office comment as I have set it out above, another media outlet (I think IOMN) reported that there would be “only 40% of the usual rainfall for those 3 months” which is a completely different thing and not, I am reliably informed, what the Met Office actually said.

Take a trip to sulby reservoir, i did, it’s gonna take a downpour of biblical proportions to fill that back up. I reckon 30 to 40 feet depth less. Utilities are taking a long view on this. 

I

12 hours ago, Uhtred said:

the local met can't get the weather right for 24 hours ahead , how they expect anybody to think they can predict 3 months in advance is just fantasy land.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gizo said:

Take a trip to sulby reservoir, i did, it’s gonna take a downpour of biblical proportions to fill that back up. I reckon 30 to 40 feet depth less. Utilities are taking a long view on this. 

I

plus they haven't fined anyone yet.....

#££££££

• 3 weeks later...

This is becoming a little bit worrying now. We have had a generally good summer, one which people may hope will continue to be the norm, it seems however that we are not really geared up for it? The weather in the south of England has indeed been hot but we have not suffered the same damage to the fields which they have, they have pretty much remained green and we have been experiencing the usual summer wetness through most of August.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lack-of-rain-could-have-knock-on-effect/

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This is becoming a little bit worrying now. We have had a generally good summer, one which people may hope will continue to be the norm, it seems however that we are not really geared up for it? The weather in the south of England has indeed been hot but we have not suffered the same damage to the fields which they have, they have pretty much remained green and we have been experiencing the usual summer wetness through most of August.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lack-of-rain-could-have-knock-on-effect/

Fields were distinctly brown here (Falmouth, Cornwall), recovered quickly once we got some rain. Due to the vast quantity of rain received over winter the reservoirs were 99% full and things are looking good.