Hosepipe ban

Ham_N_Eggs

• 3 weeks later...

What a (truly predictable) load of bollocks this proved to be. “Months of dry weather to come” “Nooooo we can’t abandon the ban even though it’s rained ceaselessly since imposed it” “The rain is soaking into our parched earth”....”Errr...actually, things are fine now, after this minor hiccup”. Wankers. They need their collective arses kicking.

• Like 2

It was half interesting that it was still claimed on manx radio that even though there had been less than the average amount of rainfall since the ban was imposed, that levels were back to normal, thus implying all credit to the ban. I'm not sure i quite believe august and september had a less than average amount of rainfall. Seems to have pissed down almost every day?

On 9/24/2018 at 1:35 PM, Uhtred said:

What a (truly predictable) load of bollocks this proved to be. “Months of dry weather to come” “Nooooo we can’t abandon the ban even though it’s rained ceaselessly since imposed it” “The rain is soaking into our parched earth”....”Errr...actually, things are fine now, after this minor hiccup”. Wankers. They need their collective arses kicking.

I heard an interesting factette: the water table in the IOM is very high so there is a natural sponge holding water.  I suppose the point is where the "sponge" releases the water it holds.  I have noticed that some rivers in the glens have run very low over the summer, but these are not the rivers feeding reservoirs.  So, presumably the reservoirs were built where the water table allows water to the surface and it takes a relatively small top up to start to feed the reservoirs again.

Happy for any correction to my basic understanding of these things. 

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I heard an interesting factette: the water table in the IOM is very high so there is a natural sponge holding water.  I suppose the point is where the "sponge" releases the water it holds.  I have noticed that some rivers in the glens have run very low over the summer, but these are not the rivers feeding reservoirs.  So, presumably the reservoirs were built where the water table allows water to the surface and it takes a relatively small top up to start to feed the reservoirs again.

Happy for any correction to my basic understanding of these things. 

Interesting - but I don’t think those facts overturn my view that they’re wankers!