Richmond hill

LightBulb

Well I blame the Minister at the time. The buck stops there doesn't it? 

Except it doesn't. This is the Isle of Man. Phil Gawne wasn't it? Well I don't know how many roads contractors there are on the Isle of Man but Phil can bank on their votes when he stands again to get back on the Tynwald gravy train.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Well I blame the Minister at the time. The buck stops there doesn't it? 

Except it doesn't. This is the Isle of Man. Phil Gawne wasn't it? Well I don't know how many roads contractors there are on the Isle of Man but Phil can bank on their votes when he stands again to get back on the Tynwald gravy train.

What you on about. The resurface was done last year, Gawne has been gone years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gizo said:

What you on about. The resurface was done last year, Gawne has been gone years. 

Yep exactly, when was the original Great Richmond Hill road layout carried out. You know, when there was that massive car park put there for the Old Horses place, and all that.

That was Phil's 'watch'. Minister 2010, 2011,  etc

Here's an exmple MF clip from 2010 but there are many, many more.

On 7/22/2010 at 5:26 PM, VinnieK said:

I can imagine that much the same has probably happened with Richmond hill as well. The picture that seems to be emerging is one of where no-one really knew what was going on, with plans being changed repeatedly, and I'm guessing little communication or oversight being put into action, with perhaps a tendency towards wasteful construction of a car park that's too big prevailing in order to provide work and money to those engaged with the project.

There shouldn't be a need for last year's resurface if the job had been done correctly in the first place. It was never right, such as the surface causing cars to aquaplane etc

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

No.

I am blaming that fact that it was a poor job in the first place on Gawne.

The current resurfacing fiasco is just a manifestation of the poor redesign/relaying/resurfacing and poor workmanship etc. carried out under his 'watch' (and you know it).

Edited by gettafa

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Richmond hill redesign is another issue. You are blaming the resurface on Gawne. 

Are you saying that you are happy with the original workmanship?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gettafa said:

No.

I am blaming that fact that it was a poor job in the first place on Gawne.

The current resurfacing fiasco is just a manifestation of the poor redesign/relaying/resurfacing and poor workmanship etc. carried out under his 'watch' (and you know it).

there wouldn't have been a perceived need for any changes if thick cunts just drove to the road conditions/layout  instead of their own egos.  the faster you make a road look the faster dumb fuckers will drive.  the new safe windy corner seems to have just as many ( if not more )  crashes than the older dangerous one.    but at least the change there and at brandish got the lap times up for bike racers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

there wouldn't have been a perceived need for any changes if thick cunts just drove to the road conditions/layout  instead of their own egos.  the faster you make a road look the faster dumb fuckers will drive.  the new safe windy corner seems to have just as many ( if not more )  crashes than the older dangerous one.    

One of the skills of highway planning should be that roads are designed so that even poor drivers will handle them as safely as they can, not so that good ones (or ones who think they) can drive fast.  Blaming the drivers would be rather missing the point, because the layout should discourage them behaving like that.

Perhaps some of the problems with Richmond Hill are caused by the DoI being infected with TT-itis and thinking that every road should become a racetrack, but it's probably more that they lack more general skills to design and implement their ideas.  Certainly it never seems to have occurred to them that water runs downhill.  I suspect they have an idea what a 'proper' road looks like (a motorway over a nice flat and dry landscape) and simply try to get as near to that as they can, irrespective of need, topography, local conditions, weather, safety or cost.  Especially cost.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

One of the skills of highway planning should be that roads are designed so that even poor drivers will handle them as safely as they can, not so that good ones (or ones who think they) can drive fast.  Blaming the drivers would be rather missing the point, because the layout should discourage them behaving like that.

Perhaps some of the problems with Richmond Hill are caused by the DoI being infected with TT-itis and thinking that every road should become a racetrack, but it's probably more that they lack more general skills to design and implement their ideas.  Certainly it never seems to have occurred to them that water runs downhill.  I suspect they have an idea what a 'proper' road looks like (a motorway over a nice flat and dry landscape) and simply try to get as near to that as they can, irrespective of need, topography, local conditions, weather, safety or cost.  Especially cost.

On the IOM, it failed in those four words