Richmond hill

LightBulb

Am I wrong but do I remember in my youth they used to run a heavy roller over it several times to ensure it was bedded in all the way across the lane? Rather than relying on lighter cars to do two thin strips?

Can't think of the last time I saw a "steam" roller at a roadworks site

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yorik said:

Am I wrong but do I remember in my youth they used to run a heavy roller over it several times to ensure it was bedded in all the way across the lane? Rather than relying on lighter cars to do two thin strips?

They had rollers on the Prom I'm sure over the sub site . Not steam of course but big road rollers.

I've done a bit of tarmac and in extreme heat its not clever especially on a road as it stays tacky till temp drops to normal. The last time Richmond hill was done with the chippings etc it was November and they did a lot of the work in cold , damp or rain conditions . All not good. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

I have had no issue with the 20mph limit through the roadworks. What I DO object to is the 20mph limit where the 50mph zone began just south of Cooil Road to the Farmer's Market. No need.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, yorik said:

Careful, I can see Longworth coming up with the idea of heritage roadworks with actual steam powered rollers and the like, the workers all wearing neon tweed. 

Get all the anoraks over to watch it. 

• Haha 3

I think Coldass used to have a special rubber wheeled roller to bed in chippings, as solid steel rollers would make it like being in a war zone as chipping split and zinged off in various directions at great speed. Most new rollers do not just rely on weight and have vibro action (oooh mrs) to bed in asphalt. 

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I have had no issue with the 20mph limit through the roadworks. What I DO object to is the 20mph limit where the 50mph zone began just south of Cooil Road to the Farmer's Market. No need.

Apart from the fact there'll be loose chippings spread on the road after being dropped from tyres after the roadworks, which can still spray up and hit cars/pedestrians? And less than quarter of a mile at 20 instead of 50 will not ruin anyone's day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I object to the fact that that but is still in an absolutely shocking state.  Surely they could have dressed it at the same time?

Maybe the 20mph there is to stop the body panels being shaken off our cars?

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Really, so you would prefer a short 50 limit for about 500 yards? Between a 30 and a 20?

That is just stupid, how busy are you?

I find that bit of a lead in to the hill makes you think and have your speed down to near twenty when you get near the actual works but you must be a much better driver than me.

Just been through.

Seems they think they have finished, as they've painted the white lines on now. Although cones are still up and the road is very balck and shiny. Looks almost like they've re-tarred it on top. Not like a usual chipping resurface. Unless it is due to the heat? 

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The 20mph bit they're working on causes queues between Farmer's Market and Cooil Road. So it saves anyone whizzing round the corner at 50mph into the back of a queue of cars.

Only for a few weeks @Stu Peters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Looks almost like they've re-tarred it on top. Not like a usual chipping resurface. Unless it is due to the heat? 

There was a news report about something being put over the chippings but I can't find it now. I did seem them spraying something one day I went past

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kevster said:

There was a news report about something being put over the chippings but I can't find it now. I did seem them spraying something one day I went past

Yep. It does look very dark for a chippings resurfacing, if you use the roads round Lakeside Gardens/Groudle road as an example of classic loose chippings... almost is like a top layer of something else has been applied. 

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Yep. It does look very dark for a chippings resurfacing, if you use the roads round Lakeside Gardens/Groudle road as an example of classic loose chippings... almost is like a top layer of something else has been applied. 

it looks like a top coat of something that will last a couple of months followed by lots of coats of looking at and bullshit.

12 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Has anyone noticed that the chippings are already disappearing where the tyre tracks are? Almost looking like back to bare tar again...

It was noticeable the day it was done that some had not "stuck" down.  Another week and it will be back to how it was