Richmond hill

LightBulb

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And why not display a small registration number, it would also assist with identification.

How small exactly and where would you intend on putting them? 

Unless it's the size of a car number plate, (which would negatively impact aero and would increase lycra usage to offset) there is no way you would have enough time to read the plate as we zip through the red light. 

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

How small exactly and where would you intend on putting them? 

Unless it's the size of a car number plate, (which would negatively impact aero and would increase lycra usage to offset) there is no way you would have enough time to read the plate as we zip through the red light. 

Fit it under the rear of the seat, 6" x 1"? I'm sure the after-market suppliers could accommodate it fairly quickly?

A Department that has overspent to the the thick end of £20M, some of it on cyclist infrastructure, would welcome the revenue, surely?

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Fit it under the rear of the seat, 6" x 1"? I'm sure the after-market suppliers could accommodate it fairly quickly?

A Department that has overspent to the the thick end of £20M, some of it on cyclist infrastructure, would welcome the revenue, surely?

The cost of administering it would outweigh the revenues

What about tourists when they come over?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What about the toddlers?

What about the youths on their stolen Mountain Bikes?

Why don't you answer the actual questions I ask you instead of constantly diverting?

What about all the kids that use them? You will never see anyone with a bike costing several thousand pounds using a cycle lane. Why should they be made to pay? Why should I pay. I haven't asked for a cycle lane and I don't use the ones we have because they are crap.

If they had registration numbers it might assist with identification and eventual return. Kids under the age of ten shouldn't be on the roads on bicycles (IMHO), they lack the spacial awareness to navigate safely.

Why should anybody, including car drivers, pay anything for cock up after cock up by the DOI? We have to though, cyclists should be no different.

As for the thousands of pounds bikes not existing, you obviously haven't visited Cycle 360 lately then?

• Like 1

My objection to the bike registration / tax thing is that it's a disincentive for the casual rider to ride a bike. Kids. People who need to ride to get to work because the bus didn't show up. 

I need to do more exercise following a recent health event and dusted my mike to do a few laps around the block as part of that. If I had to register with government I wouldn't bother. 

This would be a rule brought in to deal with the lycra crowd, but would impact people enjoying a regular freedom they've always had.

• Like 1

Minimum size of frame/wheel to classed as a pushbike.

Sale of these bikes to include a 5-10% tax which goes to the government on top of the VAT to be put into the general roads/cycle path budget.

Kids bikes not taxed as the wheel or frame size is below that required to call it a pushbike.

The minimum size can then be used as a bench mark for what is allowed to be ridden on paths/ needs lights, reflectors and reflective/hi-viz clothing.

Minimum 3rd party insurance for sizes classes as pushbikes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

If they had registration numbers it might assist with identification and eventual return. Kids under the age of ten shouldn't be on the roads on bicycles (IMHO), they lack the spacial awareness to navigate safely.

Why should anybody, including car drivers, pay anything for cock up after cock up by the DOI? We have to though, cyclists should be no different.

As for the thousands of pounds bikes not existing, you obviously haven't visited Cycle 360 lately then?

And you haven't learnt to read? This is what I said:

You will never see anyone with a bike costing several thousand pounds using a cycle lane.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

My objection to the bike registration / tax thing is that it's a disincentive for the casual rider to ride a bike. Kids. People who need to ride to get to work because the bus didn't show up. 

I need to do more exercise following a recent health event and dusted my mike to do a few laps around the block as part of that. If I had to register with government I wouldn't bother. 

This would be a rule brought in to deal with the lycra crowd, but would impact people enjoying a regular freedom they've always had.

Drop the mike, ride the bike...

Oh, and I agree with you on this. I know, right?

• Haha 1

I see they have a counter(you know type, two rubber tubes stretched across a road usually) on the cycle path/footpath down from Anaghcoar traffic lights. Will be interesting to see how this works out. And can they tell the difference between wheels and feet. Would like to see one one the Pulrose bridge, not all the way across the pavement just on the cycle bit. Would guess no need for counter that goe's up to double digits if you are just leaving it for a month. Then again would guess numbers will be fudged, would not trust them unless verified by a camera. Because we know the government always tells the truth otherwise you would have to sack someone. 

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 1