Ballymurphy Massacre Inquest

Max Power

Having strong Northern Irish Protestant connections, I was absolutely horrified to watch the programme on Channel 4 on Saturday night about the actions of British Troops in August 1971. It seems that at that time, the British Government began internment of IRA suspects in the wake of civil rights marches by Catholics who had been subjected to extreme provocation by Protestant groups. The IRA was pretty much an impotent force at the time and had in fact been accused of cowardice for not protecting those who were being burned out of their homes. 

The Army decided that the Ballymurphy estate was a leading IRA stronghold and began clearing it out, placing it under siege. In fact any IRA members had left the area days before, knowing about the purge in advance. They brought in 600 members of One Para under Brigadier Kitson, a known expert in dealing with insurgents in Kenya. In the programme he admitted using unsavoury tactics and doing things which are beyond the pale in dealing with troublesome natives.

To cut a very long story short, over three days, the Paras murdered 11 innocent people, including a priest waving a white handkerchief trying to help a wounded man, and many others were severely beaten, for being residents of Ballamurphy. This was exactly the kind of thing that one of the victims had fought against the Nazis, losing a hand, to wipe out. The Paras press officer, Capt. Mike Jackson, later General Sir Mike Jackson, fed lie after lie to the press to cover this up, insisting that they were fighting a running gun battle over three days with about 20 IRA gunmen. No evidence of this, not even a spent cartridge, was ever found. 

A few months later, One Para were sent to Londonderry to police a civil rights march one Sunday. They and the British Government were the cause of almost all of the thirty years of death and destruction. They created the upsurge of the IRA and UVF and gave idiots on both sides a cause to fight for. They manipulated British public opinion and are a disgrace to this country.

A proper inquest into the deaths is to begin later this month.

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/ballymurphy-massacre-belfast-northern-ireland-troubles-bloody-sunday/

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

I find no fault with what the Paras did no matter what it was.  The moral remains keep away from terrorists and by so doing keep away from danger.

I honestly don't think there's anything more to add, except, you're a complete fucking moron 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Rog said:

I find no fault with what the Paras did no matter what it was.  The moral remains keep away from terrorists and by so doing keep away from danger.

Easily said Rog, but the IRA were nothing like what they became after these massacres. When they were forced to live on divided estates, there were bound to be people living there who were going to be targeted. They never found any IRA men in Ballymurphy? 

The Para's behaved just like the Nazi SS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Easily said Rog, but the IRA were nothing like what they became after these massacres. When they were forced to live on divided estates, there were bound to be people living there who were going to be targeted. They never found any IRA men in Ballymurphy? 

The Para's behaved just like the Nazi SS. 

That is simply wrong. The terrorists were escalating their attacks against the British people of Ulster and had been for some time.  The infamous ball game that saw the score Paras 11 IRA nil was the inevitable result of the attack against the FB's in an ongoing reply to the American funded attacks against British people.  I well remember that rotten bitch Bernadette Devlin being the rabble rouser that kicked off the resurgence of Fenian attacks against the legitimate government. I also remember the Belfast Oxford Street bus station bombing and the immediate aftermath.  I should, I was there.  I only wish I could forget the things that I saw.  Very good at attacking civilians were the Fenian bastards.

Interesting Max - never heard of this until reading your post. 

I don’t have ‘a dog in this fight’, but I would say that Rog’s and Fatshaft’s exchanges aren’t helpful. 

I remember David Trimble on the radio years ago saying the Irish conflict was nothing about religion, simply that Catholic vs Protestant were surrogates for Irish (natives) vs British (invaders).  Hope to learn more about it in this thread, if it can be kept from descending into crap. 

6 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Jeez, come on FS, he's sitting there in his underpants laughing at the effect he's having.  No-one could be truly as whatever-he-is extreme as the stuff he types.  Don't feed the troll.

Wrong.  I am what I present. I've always been an avid supporter of the Ulster unionists party and on a casual acquaintance basis with Dr Paisley as a result of many hours spent in the British Midland exec lounge at Aldergrove on Friday nights on the way home and hate terrorists with a passion.

Me extreme?

You should encounter my son where so called palestinians are concerned.

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Interesting Max - never heard of this until reading your post. 

I don’t have ‘a dog in this fight’, but I would say that Rog’s and Fatshaft’s exchanges aren’t helpful. 

I remember David Trimble on the radio years ago saying the Irish conflict was nothing about religion, simply that Catholic vs Protestant were surrogates for Irish (natives) vs British (invaders).  Hope to learn more about it in this thread, if it can be kept from descending into crap. 

It's a mixture of true and well founded hatred of Roman Catholicism by the mostly Presbyterian protestants who rightly describe Roman Catholicism as profoundly blasphemous and absolutely un-Christian, and the poverty amongst the minority RC population that came as a direct result of having huge families and an ethos of general low morality compared to the generally higher class true Ulster folk.

18 minutes ago, Rog said:

...and on a casual acquaintance basis with Dr Paisley as a result of many hours spent in the British Midland exec lounge at Aldergrove...

Was he in his underpants as well? :lol:

17 minutes ago, Rog said:

Wrong.  I am what I present.

ETA:

image.png.27a3a76626c07822b01c0b01333d600a.png

Edited by Bobbie Bobster