US Supreme Court

Chinahand

I don't really know what to make about the accusations against Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

A part of me thinks a Supreme Court Justice should be a figure of absolute integrity and so it is right and proper that their entire life is examined for inappropriate behaviour.

Another part thinks that if an event which occurred when they were 17 is going to be used against them when they are being considered for a job in their 50s things are going a little crazy.

The incident sounds nasty - but as the girl managed to pull herself away it is hard to know just how serious it could have become.

His behaviour was highly inappropriate, but at the same time shouldn't some account be taken for his youth.

Is this incident on its own enough to disqualify him from the court?

I guess many more-radically minded democrats will see it as exemplifying an underlying misogyny, but if there are no other incidents over his entire adult career is such poor behaviour really a total disqualification?

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as the justice system in the US can be so utterly mental with executions still a thing and life imprisonments for the crime of being black and poor I think it is essential that those handing down the judgements should absolutely be people of the highest moral fibre.

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Seeing as the justice system in the US can be so utterly mental with executions still a thing and life imprisonments for the crime of being black and poor I think it is essential that those handing down the judgements should absolutely be people of the highest moral fibre.

Care to show an example of a person being jailed for life just because they were “black and poor”

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Care to respond to the original post instead of dribbling after me?

You made a scathing comment about the USA legal system and I would be interested in seeing your evidence. We can return to the op after that.

Teapot - why the ad hominem - you've responded to Neil, there's really no need to add agro.

Neil - surely your aware of the US's very poor record of Judicial equality?  The causes of it are very complex, but my understanding is that even after adjusting for things like poverty, lack of education, etc US Blacks are treated considerably worse than Whites.

It’s not really the probity or otherwise of judicial nominees it’s the total corruption, in the case of the senate, of the politicised appointment process, where the question of ability to be a judge and apply the law without fear or favour is now secondary to “fixing” the court to impose a majority for one or other political viewpoint for a generation.

19 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Teapot - why the ad hominem - you've responded to Neil, there's really no need to add agro.

Neil - surely your aware of the US's very poor record of Judicial equality?  The causes of it are very complex, but my understanding is that even after adjusting for things like poverty, lack of education, etc US Blacks are treated considerably worse than Whites.

I don’t disagree China. You posted evidential back up which was all I was after. Google is only your friend if you put in the correct search criteria 

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What's the point? You are utterly incapable of having a reasoned debate. Just for you though here is a link https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/13/us-prisoners-sentences-life-non-violent-crimes I can't really be bothered following it up. 

That does not back up your claim that they have been locked up for being black and poor.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not really the probity or otherwise of judicial nominees it’s the total corruption, in the case of the senate, of the politicised appointment process, where the question of ability to be a judge and apply the law without fear or favour is now secondary to “fixing” the court to impose a majority for one or other political viewpoint for a generation.

It is fascinating how modes of Judicial Interpretation have become a polarised political issue.

I'm not quite sure why texturalism or original meaning have become republican shibboleths - other than due to the inherent conservatism (small c) in looking at a document that way. 

Archived