Rob Callister

La Colombe

I saw this on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, regarding the IPA Pool Tournament finale being held at the Palace Hotel at the end of October this year.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/island-to-host-ipa-tour-season-finale/

Perhaps in some respects we should be singing this out loudly. However, the cynicism in me has a lot of questions. I certainly hope the figures and the projections are correct, and would love the know what ‘The Pool King’ has promised, either logistically, financially or other materialistic support. 

We kept being told how big cycling is on the island and how well we punch above our weight. Perhaps we should better facilities, maybe a velodrome. Maybe we may get more prestigious cycling events, not just the one- off of the British Championships. 

Perhaps the IOM could hold a professional snooker tournament here, perhaps likely to be televised by ITV4? Darts, again being televised by ITV4? Perhaps the IOM could organise a pre season friendly tournament, akin to the old pre season events of days gone by. This could be held at the Bowl.

7 hours ago, MrPB said:

Hmm .. fat men in tuxedos slugging it out for a thirty grand prize. It’s a bit like dressed up sumo I suppose. However it is certainly the sort of low aspiration sporting event that’s entirely appropriate for the IOM though. A nice choice of venue too. One of the grottiest hotels in Douglas. That will leave a great impression on all attending. 

it should have been held in the villa like the last big comp but now i guess the money has to go to one of the governments favourite hotels instead.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WTF said:

it should have been held in the villa like the last big comp but now i guess the money has to go to one of the governments favourite hotels instead.

That bit didn't get past me either. Mind, looking at the Tour venues they all tend to be in hotels.

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

I saw this on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, regarding the IPA Pool Tournament finale being held at the Palace Hotel at the end of October this year.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/island-to-host-ipa-tour-season-finale/

Perhaps in some respects we should be singing this out loudly. However, the cynicism in me has a lot of questions. I certainly hope the figures and the projections are correct, and would love the know what ‘The Pool King’ has promised, either logistically, financially or other materialistic support. 

We kept being told how big cycling is on the island and how well we punch above our weight. Perhaps we should better facilities, maybe a velodrome. Maybe we may get more prestigious cycling events, not just the one- off of the British Championships. 

Perhaps the IOM could hold a professional snooker tournament here, perhaps likely to be televised by ITV4? Darts, again being televised by ITV4? Perhaps the IOM could organise a pre season friendly tournament, akin to the old pre season events of days gone by. This could be held at the Bowl.

Morning 2112

Happy to confirm that I travelled to the IPA World Champions in February (at my own expense), along with scheduling various meetings between the IPA and local hotels, travel agents and the tourism team in April. 

As political member I normally review and sign off funding requests relating to tourism events, but once the IPA submitted their application to the tourism team for funding, which is based on number of visitors and bed nights etc I stepped back and took no part in that process because of a perceived conflict.

The Visit Agency is looking to extend the island’s tourism season with non weather dependent events, such as the European Netball Championships that was very successful. 

The IPA event will see the world’s best eight ball pool players competing and the event will be streamed live via the BBC Sport Apps. 

Hopefully, this will become an annual event similar to the Darts etc.  

Local pool / snooker players are encouraged to get involved. 

There will also be a poker tournament, which will certainly attract some local attention. 

I have no involvement in the actual event, I simply brought people together. I might be playing in the tournament but I haven’t played pool for a couple of years.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, WTF said:

Hi WTF 

The event held in the Villa back in 1995 or 1997 was the European Team Championships, which might return in 2021/22.

The IPA events are individual Competitions, which are normally held in a hotel  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Morning 2112

Happy to confirm that I travelled to the IPA World Champions in February (at my own expense), along with scheduling various meetings between the IPA and local hotels, travel agents and the tourism team in April. 

As political member I normally review and sign off funding requests relating to tourism events, but once the IPA submitted their application to the tourism team for funding, which is based on number of visitors and bed nights etc I stepped back and took no part in that process because of a perceived conflict.

The Visit Agency is looking to extend the island’s tourism season with non weather dependent events, such as the European Netball Championships that was very successful. 

The IPA event will see the world’s best eight ball pool players competing and the event will be streamed live via the BBC Sport Apps. 

Hopefully, this will become an annual event similar to the Darts etc.  

Local pool / snooker players are encouraged to get involved. 

There will also be a poker tournament, which will certainly attract some local attention. 

I have no involvement in the actual event, I simply brought people together. I might be playing in the tournament but I haven’t played pool for a couple of years.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes it’s good the event is getting exposure view BBC App and Red Button - perhaps it would have been more publicity if the event was screened on Freesports? Sadly IOM can’t get Freesports via Terrestrial aerial but it’s on the Sky Platform, and Freesports can be viewed on certain free phone TV apps. I know the BBC and Freesports both screen certain competitions. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

So how many bed nights and tourists is this due to generate? 

36 minutes ago, piebaps said:

About time too. Bloody freeloaders. Good work Rob!

Some of those “freeloaders” would be the ones who fought in WWII to allow you to be the prick you are...

Edited by Neil Down
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Some of those “freeloaders” would be the ones who fought in WWII 

Not very many though.  To have fought in WWII - ie to have been at least 18 in 1945 - you'd be at least 92 now.  That's probably at most 200 men on the Island, though I can't find exact figures because the numbers are so small they tend to lump ages together.  Why do you think there were so few veterans at the D-Day celebrations?

If the last three years have confirmed anything about the British it's that the more they go on about 'The War', the less likely they are to have served in it.  They saw all the films, mind you - that must be worth a medal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

So how many bed nights and tourists is this due to generate? 

The IPA event isn’t a team tournament unfortunately 

These are individual tournaments, a professional event and an open event which local players can enter, subject to an entry fee. 

So the numbers are not massive (150 to 200 visitors) - that is why it can be held in a hotel 

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not very many though.  To have fought in WWII - ie to have been at least 18 in 1945 - you'd be at least 92 now.  That's probably at most 200 men on the Island, though I can't find exact figures because the numbers are so small they tend to lump ages together.  Why do you think there were so few veterans at the D-Day celebrations?

If the last three years have confirmed anything about the British it's that the more they go on about 'The War', the less likely they are to have served in it.  They saw all the films, mind you - that must be worth a medal.

In your rush to be clever, you may have inadvertently missed the word "some" … :flowers: