Rob Callister

La Colombe

Anyway,

I quite like Rob Callister as he listens to his constituents and plays it as best as he can considering there's often two or more sides to a story.

He and a few other MHK's attended the PAG meeting earlier in the week regards being aware of 5G technology and I thought it was good to see him there as its important that he and others become more knowledgeable and concerned regards modern technology these days. :thumbsup:

I even like his Blog and must spend lots of 'free time' writing an account of his busy day. I understand that he does a lot of research about whatever topic he wishes to talk about which I find commendable.

So nice job Rob, keep it up and cya at the polling station next time round

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Always not a good idea resurrecting this thread but what specifically is the ‘housing crisis’ he’s waffling on about this week? He doesn’t appear to actually explain what the housing crisis is despite asking others if they think we have a housing crisis and what they’re going to do about it. Do we have any clues? 

It’s typical Callister double-speak. 

He’s mining votes in Onchan by objecting to the proposed new estates while at the same time asking if we have a housing crisis. If we do have a housing crisis then presumably the solution would be to build more houses (which he’s objecting to!)  

41 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

He’s mining votes in Onchan by objecting to the proposed new estates while at the same time asking if we have a housing crisis. If we do have a housing crisis then presumably the solution would be to build more houses (which he’s objecting to!)  

just not in onchan though.

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Always not a good idea resurrecting this thread but what specifically is the ‘housing crisis’ he’s waffling on about this week? He doesn’t appear to actually explain what the housing crisis is despite asking others if they think we have a housing crisis and what they’re going to do about it. Do we have any clues? 

It will be about the Onchan not joining the all Island register for Social Housing - Rob knows that if he keeps the CHAV voters in Onchan happy he is guaranteed his seat.

I’m sure RC wouldn’t object to an old folks home, nursing home or another big sheltered housing scheme or two - granny farming at its finest. Whilst I can see his point of view made to the inquiry, he should have left his thoughts, questions and opinions to himself and let the inquiry chair do their job. If he is successful and the fields in Onchan are refused rezoning, it will show that his persuasive argument won the day, not petty and pointless questions in Tynpotwald. Besides there are many other National issues which need airing, or perhaps we don’t discuss certain subjects so they can be swept under the carpet.

Edited by 2112

44 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Thanks for that but if it is that how is that a crisis? I’m not really understanding what the actual “crises” referred to is. To my mind we don’t have a crisis in social housing we have a load of people who shouldn’t be in social housing blocking up properties for decades when they could well afford to be housed in the private sector. But nothing seems to be done about that as it’s a vote loser turfing all of these scroungers out on their arses via means testing. 

Good to see you don’t understand what a crisis is then...

On 10/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, Neil Down said:

I will if you can show me another MHK where 98 pages are dedicated to them...

Isn’t this the second Rob Callister thread. I recall the Lawyer shutting one thread down which had lots of pages on for this thread to appear instantaneously. 

So maybe in total RC is now ahead of the Juan Spewin thread, however Christmas is only around the corner so expect a late surge from the Juan thread plus Juan’s new pantomime military uniform to be worn at Remembrance Sunday. 

4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Isn't there a bit more to it than that? There's thousands of houses lying empty on this island, and a crisis intervention agency Graih trying desparately to find people reasonable accommodation

The answer to it can't be building flimsy new housing on greenfield sites

2 hours ago, Holte End said:

Why the hell does he want to take more work off taxi drives at TT time by adding more buses.

If it is not bad enough wilth their dial a bus.

Will the last taxi driver please put his plying for hire light out.

This is a bit hysterical.  All that Callister is asking in next week's Tynwald is:  What plan his Department has to increase bus capacity to and from Ronaldsway for TT 2020 to cope with the increased volume of travellers?  If the entire livelihood of the Island's taxi drivers depends on them ripping off visitors for two journeys on one route for two weeks a year, I think they probably ought to give up now.  Perhaps they're like those crocodiles hungrily waiting all year for the annual migration of wildebeest, but they really ought to go into a line of business that's a bit more economically sustainable. 

That said it's still a fairly silly question, given that the number of buses to/from the Airport happened to go from three to four an hour in April so the capacity would have already have risen 33% this year.  I suspect it just translates as "One of my constituents happened to be be on a bus going South that was slightly crowded in TT Week"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

The problem you have here is that it seems to have flipped on its head who the TT is for. Thirty years ago it was to keep traders, taxi drivers, pubs and hoteliers ticking over allowing them to keep on employing staff and get a nice little kicker to take the edge off a slowing tourist trade. Now it seems to be just about keeping civil servants busy driving more buses and doing a whole pile of other stuff which generates no income other than taking the edge off the massive losses we make in running state infrastructure. 

Silly boy.

• Confused 1