Rob Callister

La Colombe

9 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The chess tournament was covered in the papers. I didn’t think the profile was too bad. It was a big prize tournament too. 

Tbh the idea of the IoM Gov getting their grubby hands on the chess tournament you know it’s doomed to fail. Leave it well alone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WTF said:
12 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The chess tournament was covered in the papers. I didn’t think the profile was too bad. It was a big prize tournament too. 

like the darts,  all good for some people, just not tax payers.

But as I pointed out above coverage was both late and pretty scanty.  Even by the media's own standards it looked a bit provincial given the importance of the event.  As with most things in our media coverage of sports and similar seems to rely on what they are given.

It's very difficult to find out money goes to support individual events from the DfE.  Their website says Financial assistance to event organisers is delivered through the Tourist Development Scheme (TEDS), which offers a Guarantee against Loss.  I suspect this has the effect that they can then disguise the actual amounts given under the umbrella of our old friend 'commercial confidentiality'.   So there's no way of telling which events don't need any help in the end and which splash the cash every year knowing that the taxpayers will pick up the bill.  There doesn't even seem to be a list of those they provide any financial support to - even if it's just an unused guarantee.

I suspect the Chess Tournament didn't get financial assistance at all - nor should it have.  But it was a missed opportunity to work with the organisers to promote the Island.  Though that probably won't stop the DfE totting up the column inches and claiming the credit for £zillion of publicity.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But as I pointed out above coverage was both late and pretty scanty.  Even by the media's own standards it looked a bit provincial given the importance of the event.  As with most things in our media coverage of sports and similar seems to rely on what they are given.

It's very difficult to find out money goes to support individual events from the DfE.  Their website says Financial assistance to event organisers is delivered through the Tourist Development Scheme (TEDS), which offers a Guarantee against Loss.  I suspect this has the effect that they can then disguise the actual amounts given under the umbrella of our old friend 'commercial confidentiality'.   So there's no way of telling which events don't need any help in the end and which splash the cash every year knowing that the taxpayers will pick up the bill.  There doesn't even seem to be a list of those they provide any financial support to - even if it's just an unused guarantee.

I suspect the Chess Tournament didn't get financial assistance at all - nor should it have.  But it was a missed opportunity to work with the organisers to promote the Island.  Though that probably won't stop the DfE totting up the column inches and claiming the credit for £zillion of publicity.

Do any of the media outlets have sports editors these days, or is it just left to each sport to provide it's own commentary?

On 10/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, dilligaf said:

But you should care about what you are paying for.. How can I be wrong saying that promoting pool is just fucking stupid. It is pub stuff. That is all it is. What did this stupid tournament cost us ? I only ask as it made us look stupid and earned fuck all.

What a delusional and silly point of view.

The competition brought a couple of hundred people to the island and we should be thankful for opportunities to promote visiting the island.

It is pencilled in for next year I believe and again that can only be a good thing.  

The days of attracting 1950s numbers of visitors are gone.  Smaller events grow to become larger events.   And introduce people to the island.   It is governments job to invest and the investment here was not substantial really.

How does it make the island look stupid? I'm genuinely intrigued to know.

Darts, bowls, pool, chess - none are 'sports' but there isn't any reason why they cannot increase visitors to the island.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What a delusional and silly point of view.

The competition brought a couple of hundred people to the island and we should be thankful for opportunities to promote visiting the island.

It is pencilled in for next year I believe and again that can only be a good thing.  

The days of attracting 1950s numbers of visitors are gone.  Smaller events grow to become larger events.   And introduce people to the island.   It is governments job to invest and the investment here was not substantial really.

How does it make the island look stupid? I'm genuinely intrigued to know.

Darts, bowls, pool, chess - none are 'sports' but there isn't any reason why they cannot increase visitors to the island.  

At least the participants eat real food. Whilst it is also good to get supreme athletes in, they generally don't buy food on the island preferring to eat the team supplied foods and supplements.

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

What pro food do you need for pool players? Chips cheese and gravy from the Terrace chippy and a few cans of Guinness? It’s hardly a professional sport where they’re counting their carb intake. Although slightly better than darts where a good loud fart is often deployed to knock them off target. 

do you class pool players as supreme athletes?

33 minutes ago, MrPB said:

What pro food do you need for pool players? Chips cheese and gravy from the Terrace chippy and a few cans of Guinness? It’s hardly a professional sport where they’re counting their carb intake. Although slightly better than darts where a good loud fart is often deployed to knock them off target. 

To be fair in the sort of tournament held at the Palace recently, whilst Pool can and is played by a number of people of all shapes and sizes, you would be surprised how mentally challenging it is to play over perhaps a 15 hour day. Like anything really.

Many people in these types of events (and Darts would be another example) are taking things more seriously these days.  Where money is involved, over time, it will change the way people approached the sport or game.

Golf is a good example of this.  Snooker another.   Darts perhaps changing over time.

The darts festival here is one of the main events outside of the world championships on the BDO circuit.