Rob Callister

La Colombe

I listened to the whole Tynwald debate regarding the Gas increase, I must say I listened to hear the maiden speeches and get an opinion on the speakers as much as interest in the debate which I did find informative, until Chris Thomas started waffling as per.   With an open mind I don’t think the Members had an option but to vote for the increase the Company in control initially wanted a lot more than was agreed on . I feel the press that the members of Tynwald are getting from the public is unfair and had they listened to the debate they would have got the whole picture.   They now have an independent adjudicater who works with the government and the parent company of Manx Gas.  What I don’t remember hearing, I may have missed it, is that the agreed price is not being reviewed until 6 months this I think is unacceptable, all I remember is that the Company promised to review the costs.   However I may have misheard and if anyone else was listening please correct me.

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I listened to the whole Tynwald debate regarding the Gas increase, I must say I listened to hear the maiden speeches and get an opinion on the speakers as much as interest in the debate which I did find informative, until Chris Thomas started waffling as per.   With an open mind I don’t think the Members had an option but to vote for the increase the Company in control initially wanted a lot more than was agreed on . I feel the press that the members of Tynwald are getting from the public is unfair and had they listened to the debate they would have got the whole picture.   They now have an independent adjudicater who works with the government and the parent company of Manx Gas.  What I don’t remember hearing, I may have missed it, is that the agreed price is not being reviewed until 6 months this I think is unacceptable, all I remember is that the Company promised to review the costs.   However I may have misheard and if anyone else was listening please correct me.

So how much were the greedy fuckers angling for then?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

until Chris Thomas started waffling as per.

I would not say that everything he says is waffle. In fact, some things he says are well-reasoned and sensible. However, the nature of his voice and mental meanderings results in him being the most soporific politician I have heard for quite some time. If he had ever made the position, CM questions in Tynwald would have been punctuated not by supplementaries or shouts of "hear, hear" but by the sound of at least 23 people snoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Going bust by February is a bit of an empty threat by Manx Gas. The MUA supply them with wholesale gas anyway and can take over the pipeline contracts if the supplier fails financially. So nobody would be freezing to death. Manx Gas is yet another utilities company that failed to hedge its exposure in a volatile market. Commercially that’s a failure that is now being underwritten by the Manx consumer. There has been no deep dive into the group accounts either. Just an agreement that the customer will pay more - and a few quid in compensation paid to people who receive benefits. That’s probably easier than the MUA stepping into the breach if it went tits up. Which it still could do anyway. 

Not just consumers all of us are now bankrolling the greedy bastard's!

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, Whatnonsence said:

The bottom line is that controversy has followed  Mr Callister throughout his political career no surprise then that he is in the Ministerial wilderness.

Thats true but cant help feeling its self inflicted for the most part. He's tarnished now and will take awhile to throw the perception off . Think he basically got what he deserved and from his response its hard not to agree with Cannans snub. 

17 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

its hard not to agree with Cannans snub. 

It's not really a snub though is it? Alf has had to pick who he considers is the best for the job. Being one of the non-newbies doesn't give an MHK some sort of god given right to be a minister.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It's not really a snub though is it? Alf has had to pick who he considers is the best for the job. Being one of the non-newbies doesn't give an MHK some sort of god given right to be a minister.

In my view it is as Rob clearly and openly said he was interested in DOI or DoE . In his eyes and again as he said he openly voted for Cannan both times and yet others who didnt have been preferred to him. If all thats not a snub not sure what is. And by his reaction he thinks so too.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

In my view it is as Rob clearly and openly said he was interested in DOI or DoE . In his eyes and again as he said he openly voted for Cannan both times and yet others who didnt have been preferred to him. If all thats not a snub not sure what is. And by his reaction he thinks so too.  

Why would if they though Allinson was a better option be a factor in selecting someone for a ministers post?

It is perfectly possible for a grown adult to still support and work with someone even if they though someone else might have been a better option.

Same with saying he was interested in certain departments?  Completely irrelevant to picking the person who is best suited to the job and who would also be the best fit for the team that was being put together.

Sour grapes abs nothing else, and turning down the PO job proved that Alf made the right decision IMO

• Like 1

I suppose Rob feel like the lad who’s turned up for early for training every week, helped put the cones out and not been picked  for the first team. Now the manager and half the first team have left and his mate is in charge and he’s still in the Combi. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

it's cannan not rewarding a suck up .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Declan said:

I suppose Rob feel like the lad who’s turned up for early for training every week, helped put the cones out and not been picked  for the first team. Now the manager and half the first team have left and his mate is in charge and he’s still in the Combi. 

Very good analogy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Thats true but cant help feeling its self inflicted for the most part. He's tarnished now and will take awhile to throw the perception off . Think he basically got what he deserved and from his response its hard not to agree with Cannans snub. 

Completely self inflicted.
Reminds me of my youth when some individual was left out of the first team could never stop having a whine while others took it in an adult manner.

39 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Reminds me of my youth when some individual was left out of the first team could never stop having a whine while others took it in an adult manner.

i'm glad you finally realised it wasn't personal.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whatnonsence said:

But did this young gentleman agree with the management strategy, voted with the other players to this said strategy, then decided and told everyone on facebook ,that in his five years at the club he always been against the management strategy, forgetting he had actually voted for said management strategy and that his vote had been made public. Making him look like an total and utter. He really should have been given DOI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1