Rob Callister

La Colombe

1 hour ago, Southfork said:

I would imagine they must be petrified as to what might make its way onto his public blog now that he will be party to matters of national security. It might be interesting to watch how many significant breaches of the official secrets act occur in short order through trying to inform the public about what’s going on. Where has the previous incumbent moved to? 

He died...

You're both getting confused.  Callister is taking over Allinson's position as a Departmental Member at Home Affairs.  He doesn't seem to have any particular responsibilities there at the moment - the main function of DMs is to make sure that there is always a majority for whatever the civil servants want to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Southfork said:

No there was someone in there afterwards? Crookall or Cregeen? 

Ashford was appointed DHA minister on an interim basis in February. 

Then when Cregeen got moved to Home Affairs Alinson got DESC. It’s his place in DHA that Rob is filling.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You're both getting confused.  Callister is taking over Allinson's position as a Departmental Member at Home Affairs.  He doesn't seem to have any particular responsibilities there at the moment - the main function of DMs is to make sure that there is always a majority for whatever the civil servants want to do.

Lets hope Law and Order goes the same way as tourism.

We will not have any crime at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I find the thought of Two Planks and Rob the Gob in departmental meetings hilarious.  The clashing of two egos the size of galaxies backed by intellects the size of quarks.  Poor old Gary Roberts!

I think Rob the Gobs weekly blogs is going to become essential reading. 

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

I think Rob the Gobs weekly blogs is going to become essential reading. 

I think it’s all going to kick off about the 40 mph speed limit as the police clearly have no intention of reinstating what we had before so I would imagine he will collapse under public pressure and likely resign when the police fail to deliver what the public wants as the social media pressure thats coming behind the speed limit will be strong I’d imagine. 

33 minutes ago, Southfork said:

I think it’s all going to kick off about the 40 mph speed limit as the police clearly have no intention of reinstating what we had before so I would imagine he will collapse under public pressure and likely resign when the police fail to deliver what the public wants as the social media pressure thats coming behind the speed limit will be strong I’d imagine. 

Except it isn’t the Police who set and impose speed limits. They just enforce what Tynwald set.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

No harm done. Cheese on toast gives better protection than hydroxychloroquine. I know this for a fact. 

Ah yes...but it depends which cheese. Cheddar is no good at all, Cheshire is mildly effective but ideally you need Emmentahl or Double Gloucester.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Except it isn’t the Police who set and impose speed limits. They just enforce what Tynwald set.

It would seem to be the police pressuring Tynwald. They’ve wanted an all island limit for years and they had to wait for Covid to get it. 

5 minutes ago, Southfork said:

It would seem to be the police pressuring Tynwald. They’ve wanted an all island limit for years and they had to wait for Covid to get it. 

I'm sure they would like to keep chunks of the emergency legislation where possible.

I was a bit worried when Gary Roberts said at one of the press briefings 'if the government told everyone to wear brown shoes, we'd enforce the letter of the law'. I hope they are not lobbying as 1. I don't think that it is the place of the police to lobby (they serve with the will of the public) and 2. I hate brown shoes.