Rob Callister

La Colombe

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I'm sure they would like to keep chunks of the emergency legislation where possible.

I was a bit worried when Gary Roberts said at one of the press briefings 'if the government told everyone to wear brown shoes, we'd enforce the letter of the law'. I hope they are not lobbying as 1. I don't think that it is the place of the police to lobby (they serve with the will of the public) and 2. I hate brown shoes.

I agree but there has been a clear agenda behind a lot that’s been done. Including the speed limit reduction which was never needed and which was never proposed in the UK. The police have wanted it for years so they got what they wanted under emergency powers which will somehow end up permanent (except TT of course). Also lots of iffy planning decisions and the rubber stamping of things like the DOI sea wall and horse tram changes. All done while emergency powers were on and us idiots were locked in our homes. This island is so crooked at times we should probably replace the three legs with a corkscrew design.

Heres another example DOI have wanted town centers pedestrianized in their constant fight against cars and general eco-bullshit but here you go another bit of Covid related bullying and social engineering. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55778

Edited by Southfork

1 hour ago, Southfork said:

...another example DOI have wanted town centers pedestrianized in their constant fight against cars and general eco- bullshit but here you go another bit of Covid related bullying and social engineering. 

Not so sure on that one - there is no way you can keep 2m apart if the roads are open to traffic and you have to squeeze past each other on pavements.

But agree a lot of non-democratic decisions seem to have been pushed through otherwise.

25 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not so sure on that one - there is no way you can keep 2m apart if the roads are open to traffic and you have to squeeze past each other on pavements.

But agree a lot of non-democratic decisions seem to have been pushed through otherwise.

They have wanted this for years. Yet again it will be another feature that won’t go back to normal after all this whether people want it or not. Why is it up to the DfE to try to implement this. It’s allegedly a public health issue if Covid is the genuine reason? 

Edited by Southfork

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Parliament Street Ramsey and Michael Street Peel should have been pedestrianised years ago, I don't see what the problem is.

The problem seems to be from that story that neither the commissioners or the traders want it to be. You can’t apply this stuff by stealth just because you think that after a global pandemic you might get your own way. 

34 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Parliament Street Ramsey and Michael Street Peel should have been pedestrianised years ago, I don't see what the problem is.

People out west like to drive up to Michael St Shoprite and Co-op when it is pouring with rain & blowing a gale

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Just make the pavements 1 way and have more zebra crossings

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Southfork said:

The problem seems to be from that story that neither the commissioners or the traders want it to be. You can’t apply this stuff by stealth just because you think that after a global pandemic you might get your own way. 

Are you a reincarnated soothsayer?

3 hours ago, Southfork said:

Heres another example DOI have wanted town centers pedestrianized in their constant fight against cars and general eco-bullshit but here you go another bit of Covid related bullying and social engineering. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55778

If you read it, it's the DfE[1] rather than the DoI.  Though I'm sure the latter would only be too delighted by the opportunity to spend years and millions disrupting what remaining trade their is in the Island's high streets by very slowly putting down this decade's street-covering of choice, before starting all over again a few years later.

However what we have here is the DfE busily recommending a business solution which is about 30 years out of date and only works in circumstance that don't really apply here.  Which is pretty much standard for them.  As is deciding that the only solution to a temporary 'problem' that the public can get round with a bit flexibility and no help from the authorities, is a very expensive permanent solution.

[1]  Which, as Callister is still a member of that, makes the comments at least remotely relevant to this topic.

2 hours ago, Southfork said:

That isn't true really.

The reality is  that the main thing, in Ramsey certainly, that stops the street being fully pedestrianised is the chronic lack of parking in the town.

If they could sort that then the only need for traffic would be deliveries etc.

9 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Michael Street is pretty much pedestrianised outside of delivery vehicles really.  You can't park there and through traffic is very limited.

Fair enough, I knew there were some restrictions but not what. I've never driven up it.

7 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

When is media trained rob going to do a press conference?

They're cueing (badum tish) him up for the 'you're now allowed to play snooker, pool and darts' announcement. It's going to be massively important to getting us back to normal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Michael Street is pretty much pedestrianised outside of delivery vehicles really.  You can't park there and through traffic is very limited.

People park on the pavement or the street where there is space such as opposite Simpsons

It's one way only