Rob Callister

La Colombe

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Its surely a good thing, he might let slip something interesting that we should know.

Thats what I mean yes. But it’s a big risk for government as it will inevitably happen and then create some sort of embarrassing situation. 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:59 PM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Michael Street is pretty much pedestrianised outside of delivery vehicles really.  You can't park there and through traffic is very limited.

Well, I can confirm Michael Street is indeed open again to traffic today

4 hours ago, Southfork said:

I think it is worrying if he is now in home affairs what will end up being published publicly. I’ve no idea what Quayle was thinking of putting someone with such an apparent need to broadcast everything publicly in a department where they will have access to lots of highly sensitive information. 

The Isle of Man has been reported to the European Courts of Justice as regards it policy of arresting people who breach the Coronavirus regulations. Also it’s policy of convicting people who breach Coronavirus policy/laws, and the regimes policy with dealing with prisoners at HMHC Jurby, which again has been reported to the European Courts of Justice.

For a politico whose mouth is always engaged without putting his brain into gear, it’s going to be entertaining when journalists question him. The Guardian are aware of the island being referred to the European Courts of  Justice, maybe they will be sending journalists to the island. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Southfork said:

How do they manage that it’s the thinest narrowest high street in the IOM? 

It's one way

When it's raining the wheels of their pickups & 4x4s send up sheets of water so you have to duck into a doorway in an attempt to keep dry

56 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Isle of Man has been reported to the European Courts of Justice as regards it policy of arresting people who breach the Coronavirus regulations. Also it’s policy of convicting people who breach Coronavirus policy/laws, and the regimes policy with dealing with prisoners at HMHC Jurby, which again has been reported to the European Courts of Justice.

Good I’m very pleased to learn that. Not unjustifiably reported either. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Good I’m very pleased to learn that. Not unjustifiably reported either. 

+1 the island has really let its self down with this. Yet again we look like a throw back country that still wants to have the birch. I am embarrassed by the behaviour of our elected over this. The deemster as she was jailing someone last week was quoted as saying "Jail was the only sentence available" so its not entirely the Polices fault, it stems from draconian laws made up on the fly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

+1 the island has really let its self down with this. Yet again we look like a throw back country that still wants to have the birch. I am embarrassed by the behaviour of our elected over this. The deemster as she was jailing someone last week was quoted as saying "Jail was the only sentence available" so its not entirely the Polices fault, it stems from draconian laws made up on the fly.

I don’t think a Deemster, of any gender, has imprisoned anyone of a Covid offence. Indeed I don’t think it’s within their jurisdiction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

Read that all the prosecutions in the UK were invalid because the law only applied to people actually carrying the virus

Whether that is true or not I do not Know

No, there was confusion over some, very limited, charging involving the English/Welsh border, with different regs on each side

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Read that all the prosecutions in the UK were invalid because the law only applied to people actually carrying the virus

Whether that is true or not I do not Know

Yes it looks like virtually every UK sentence was overturned. I’m glad they’re asking questions on the way the police and the courts have acted here as 84 arrests (or whatever it is now) and the ensuing prison sentences are way over the top compared to just about anywhere else. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Wonder were they under pressure from politicos to be 'tough' on offenders?

I’d very much doubt it. I’m sure the judiciary talked to each other.

There was a lot of public pitchforkery going on. And I doubt they reacted to that either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’d very much doubt it. I’m sure the judiciary talked to each other.

There was a lot of public pitchforkery going on. 

There was clearly a lot of police pitch forkery going on too. They seem to have lost it on several occasions in an attempt to be seen to flex muscles. I hope a lot of those arrested challenge what happened.