Rob Callister

La Colombe

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Fiver on Peake, he's well being groomed, oozes tory yes man.

It's surprising that he hasn't been made a Minister before now, really.  He's the only MHK from 2011-16 who wasn't given that position in 2016 and since then Ashford[1] and Allinson have both been promoted ahead on him.  Quayle is normally very keen on Buggins' Turn - how else would he ever have advanced himself?  So it may be that Peake doesn't want the extra hassle - he already gets an extra 40% as a member of Treasury, so the extra 10% uplift may not be worth it if it takes time from business interests.

[1]  I keep on wanting to type 'Ashcroft' as well - there must be a collective will to pretend he isn't there.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

so the extra 10% uplift may not be worth it if it takes time from business interests.

Business interests like Luminares supplying most of the lights for the 'so last minute it took place the year after' Festival of Light as part of the Year of our island bollocks?

It's a very depressing thing to think about but I'm sure that after some mediocre stints as a minister of a few departments, Rob will probably end up as Chief Minister eventually Not because he should be or would be a good one, but because he's such a cretinous idiot who can be controlled via his ego that the Cabinet Office and other civil servants will see to it.

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 12:16 AM, Mr Newbie said:

Did I read this individuals blog right today in relation to the Chris Thomas saga? 

“On the flip side Chris can be over confident and a little too sure of himself at times ...” 

The ultimate lack of thorough self analysis before posting I’d suggest. 

The irony of that statement is hilarious, but even if it wasn't, it's still a ridiculous thing to be writing about a fellow MHK in your blog.  It strikes me as a very childish attempt to air your own grievances about someone whilst they're already down.  I would imagine it means that Rob's been put in his place by Chris Thomas at some point (probably multiple times tbf) and he's been harbouring resentment about it ever since.

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

The irony of that statement is hilarious, but even if it wasn't, it's still a ridiculous thing to be writing about a fellow MHK in your blog.  It strikes me as a very childish attempt to air your own grievances about someone whilst they're already down.  I would imagine it means that Rob's been put in his place by Chris Thomas at some point (probably multiple times tbf) and he's been harbouring resentment about it ever since.

I think Rob just doesn't like to be told he is wrong, So if Chris Thomas has corrected him with facts (ie Bill Shimmins isn't deceased)

He will have taken a huff, bit like he did on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Zorg said:

It's a very depressing thing to think about but I'm sure that after some mediocre stints as a minister of a few departments, Rob will probably end up as Chief Minister eventually Not because he should be or would be a good one, but because he's such a cretinous idiot who can be controlled via his ego that the Cabinet Office and other civil servants will see to it.

His only contribution politically is to bleat in Tynwald that he might be out of pocket and not get his money back on stamp costs for his next electioneering endeavour..  His priorities are firmly self, self, self.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

His only contribution politically is to bleat in Tynwald that he might be out of pocket and not get his money back on stamp costs for his next electioneering endeavour..  His priorities are firmly self, self, self.

Future MLC then

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, Roger Mexico said:

It's surprising that he hasn't been made a Minister before now, really.  He's the only MHK from 2011-16 who wasn't given that position in 2016 and since then Ashford[1] and Allinson have both been promoted ahead on him.  Quayle is normally very keen on Buggins' Turn - how else would he ever have advanced himself?  So it may be that Peake doesn't want the extra hassle - he already gets an extra 40% as a member of Treasury, so the extra 10% uplift may not be worth it if it takes time from business interests.

[1]  I keep on wanting to type 'Ashcroft' as well - there must be a collective will to pretend he isn't there.

Maybe he's happy in Treasury putting the squeeze on those who need to apply for benefits to get by?

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Is this the shortish stint in a Department in the history of Tynwald ?

I saw that yesterday. I think the way he effectively seems to endorse sharp practice by a lot of hotels in not refunding TT visitors is very crass. It actually sounds like Government is endorsing the fact that people have been short changed. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

54 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I saw that yesterday. I think the way he effectively seems to endorse sharp practice by a lot of hotels in not refunding TT visitors is very crass. It actually sounds like Government is endorsing the fact that people have been short changed. 

No I think this is a different one,

This ones not about TT visitors, it is about him moving from Home Affairs to DFEA.

It is how he has decided to move to DFEA.

Paul Moulton must be running his election campaign.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holte End said:

No I think this is a different one,

Oh my apologies he’s wearing the same Val Doonican jumper so I assumed it was the same interview. I see a FB page has now been set up to fight for compensation so I was surprised to see a member of Tynwald supporting hoteliers ripping people off. 

7436B554-442D-4CB5-926F-7ABD0D195BD2.jpeg

There's no justification for not giving refunds. None. Especially as there is apparently a government scheme paying £25 per room per night for bookings*, which while not the money the hoteliers were expecting from their guests is still pretty decent for not doing any work. I'm annoyed that they're getting away with it, it is a bad look for the whole island.

*That's what someone on here said, I don't actually know if it is true.

Edited by TheTeapot