Rob Callister

La Colombe

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Three I think.  He's been a member of DfE since 2016 and joined DEFA this year.  And he's previously been in DHSC and (briefly) DHA.  Clearly he's trying to collect the set.  Only DESC, Treasury and Cabinet Office to go.

There seems no reason to do this except to provide the DoI with another mug who has to vote for them.  They knew where to look.

Is there a Guinness World record for number of departments sat on in one term? I thought he was still on the DHA but I checked the website and he seems to have been on and off within a matter of weeks. Still three is impressive. Just when Onchan is completely log jammed every day too. It will be interesting to see him talk his way out of that one when the prom is still a major cluster fuck at campaign time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Three I think.  He's been a member of DfE since 2016 and joined DEFA this year.  And he's previously been in DHSC and (briefly) DHA.  Clearly he's trying to collect the set.  Only DESC, Treasury and Cabinet Office to go.

There seems no reason to do this except to provide the DoI with another mug who has to vote for them.  They knew where to look.

What is he, MHK for Onchan or Work Experience Boy. I accept that Management Trainees or Graduate Trainees may have a ‘stint’ within departments. 

Can he be sure that he give his roles with DfE, DEFA, and now DOI his full attention, without falling asleep at the wheel. Granted the DOI role will be a political hot potato, how will he represent the interests of the hardworking taxpayer, and hard pressed motorists?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

What is he, MHK for Onchan or Work Experience Boy. I accept that Management Trainees or Graduate Trainees may have a ‘stint’ within departments. 

Can he be sure that he give his roles with DfE, DEFA, and now DOI his full attention, without falling asleep at the wheel. Granted the DOI role will be a political hot potato, how will he represent the interests of the hardworking taxpayer, and hard pressed motorists?

The hard core CS. will tie him in knots . Better men than him have tried to sort that outfit out and failed miserably . 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Holte End said:

According to Callister, Moorhouse and Edge were removed from the Department.

As a casual observer watching that he seems to be on some worrying kind of NLP loop.  It’s almost self hypnosis. Even Moulton points out - none of these things that you’re saying to me stack up logically to any half-intelligent outsider. But they’re just inconvenient facts brushed aside by someone who seems to have successfully brainwashed themselves.   

Edited by Mr Newbie

On 7/17/2020 at 7:01 PM, 2112 said:

& Manx National Heritage

He’s only there temporarily. He’ll be ditched after the newbies are sworn in.

I do wish that all these MTV/MTTV and MR videos/audio clips had a transcript. I’m not going to spend 16 minutes of my life watching or listening to something I could read in 2 or 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He’s only there temporarily. He’ll be ditched after the newbies are sworn in.

But why should either of the new Douglas South MHKs will be daft enough to join DoI?  Or some existing MHK move there otherwise?  It's very telling that the civil service mindset just assumes that any new MHK will do exactly as they are told and also that the suitability for the required role(s) is simply being elected. 

Edited by Roger Mexico

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But why should either of the new Douglas South MHKs will be daft enough to join DoI?  Or some existing MHK move there otherwise?  It's very telling that the civil service mindset just assumes that any new MHK will do exactly as they are told and also that the suitability for the required role(s) is simply being elected. 

It more begs the question as to why Rob is being put in for a couple of months 

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He said it fits in well with his role in Tourism.

So why would he say that, if you only intend to stay for a couple of months.

Edited by Holte End

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Well quite.  He seems to fantasise that his mere presence will make things go more smoothly, but he's no responsibility for highways and wouldn't be allowed to use it if he had.  He seems to be there entirely to make up the numbers - the equivalent of those blow-up dolls some places are using to provide a 'crowd' in these Covid times.

He's nominally in charge of Ports, but doesn't even know if Ann Reynolds still has control of Harbours.  There was also a telling detail that, despite being in charge of Tourism, he hasn't had a meeting with the DoI about ports and services since before the current crisis.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Agreed in fact it would be a real disincentive to standing if the star prize on getting in was an enforced role in the DOI Muppet Show. I listened to that part of clip again though. Do you think it’s possible they conned him into it only on the basis that it will go to some other mug the minute a new MHK gets in? 

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Does the role conflict with anything he’s due to be responsible for doing in the next few months? Might be a good excuse to get out of something now you’re conflicted by a new role? 

Edited by Mr Newbie