Rob Callister

La Colombe

Just now, Mr Newbie said:

Does the role conflict with anything he’s due to be responsible for doing in the next few months? Might be a good excuse to get out of something now you’re conflicted by a new role? 

That's actually what has happened and he mentions it in the interview.  He has stepped down as Chairman of the Environment and Infrastructure Policy Review Committee (though he kept on recusing himself anyway) and so also stopped being a member of the Public Accounts Committee.  So in terms of workload it's probably declined, even allowing for the extra DoI stuff.  He may have stepped down before taking on the DoI though.

12 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Agreed in fact it would be a real disincentive to standing if the star prize on getting in was an enforced role in the DOI Muppet Show. I listened to that part of clip again though. Do you think it’s possible they conned him into it only on the basis that it will go to some other mug the minute a new MHK gets in? 

Well they can only 'enforce' it by refusing to allocate the new MHKs to another Department if they won't take the DoI and so miss out on that 30% upgrade.  But if you are hoping to get re-elected next year, that would only be a good excuse to tell the electors that you can't be bought and increase your chances of getting back in at the General Election.  Rather 100% for five years than 30% for one.

They've certainly told Rob that it's only temporary - I suppose if the new MHKs don't cooperate they might try to make it permanent, but it will make him look like a mug if he accepts.  It's difficult to see who else they could move to DoI - I doubt even the MLCs would be happy to do so, they were lucky to get Maska.  Perkins is the only one who looks even remotely available and I can't see him taking it.

57 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Can't see him taking much at all.

It looks like he was in his previous DHA role some 3-4 weeks so I hear there might already be a book running on this one. That video interview is just strange. Even Moulton looks more bemused than normal. 

I suspect Rob Callister is trying to act strategically. He's clearly not averse to trying to bolster his CV, his job titles or letters after his name. When the next administration.comes around, assuming he gets back in then he'll be desperate for a Ministerial role. He'll point to his job experience in just about every Department and make it clear that makes him the ideal person for whatever job's going...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sm-iom said:

I suspect Rob Callister is trying to act strategically. He's clearly not averse to trying to bolster his CV, his job titles or letters after his name. When the next administration.comes around, assuming he gets back in then he'll be desperate for a Ministerial role. He'll point to his job experience in just about every Department and make it clear that makes him the ideal person for whatever job's going...

But to be honest, given that the appointment of Ministers seems to have been based entirely on how long they had been in the Keys (even though none of them had been there for very long) there's no need to do anything but wait.  I reckon Rob just likes sitting in meetings.

• Like 1